Feb 21, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
This has all the makings of a rough week for Yanks in England’s top flight.
USA’s pair of Premier League goalkeepers have road tests ahead of them, as Tim Howard and Everton look to hold on to their European dreams with a trip to Stamford Bridge early Saturday, while Brad Guzan‘s Aston Villa side is off to play struggling Newcastle United on Sunday.
Jozy Altidore will look to shake the dust off his goal-scoring record with a trip to the Emirates to face Arsenal on Saturday, while Geoff Cameron caps off a silly road weekend for Yanks in England by bringing Stoke into the Etihad for a Saturday date with Manchester City. If Clint Dempsey finds his way back into Fulham’s team, it’ll be on Saturday at West Bromwich Albion.
Tim Ream and Bolton host mid-table Championship side Watford, while Danny Williams will look to build momentum after scoring last week when Reading welcomes Blackburn. Brek Shea‘s Barnsley faces a huge six-point relegation battle with Milwall at the home of the Tykes.
Juan Agudelo’s FC Utrecht side is just two points ahead of the drop zone in the Eredivisie and they face a Sunday match with midtable Groningen.
Sacha Kljestan and Anderlecht are back in Jupiler Pro League action with a Saturday game at Lokeren, who sit in fifth place, five points back of No. 3 Anderlecht. Kljestan’s team is 15 points out of first and five points back of No. 2 Brugge.
Fabian Johnson continues his return for Hoffenheim when they try to steal three points at Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday. Elsewhere in the Bundesliga, John Anthony Brooks will look to get back into the lineup when Hertha Berlin faces relegation-scrapping Stuttgart on Saturday. He was an unused substitute last week after being a 37th minute pull three days earlier.
Jermaine Jones sent a message to Besitkas fans on Twitter that he plans to be ready for this weekend’s matchup with Galatasaray on Saturday at Noon.
Over in France, FC Nantes hosts Stade Rennes, and Canaries striker Ale Bedoya will try to keep the visitors from leapfrogging them in the table.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla