Feb 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the visitors locker room at the Emirates Stadium, where Sunderland is licking its massive wounds down 3-0 at the half.
Manager Gus Poyet will be furious as his squad has mounted very little challenge to the second-place Gunners, and Sunderland is poised to remain in the drop zone thanks to some nifty plays by Arsenal… and a massive gaffe from Santiago Vergini.
Vergini and his right side teammates were pressed by Arsenal, and he attempted a back pass to goalkeeper Vito Marrone. Problem: the path of Olivier Giroud was between the two, as the Frenchman darted to intercept the pass and easily slot home.
- Lessons from 2010 say U.S. squad as much about opportunity, circumstances as youth 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 4
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 1
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1
- Full draw: European giants collide as UEFA Champions League groups set 7