Feb 22, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the visitors locker room at the Emirates Stadium, where Sunderland is licking its massive wounds down 3-0 at the half.
Manager Gus Poyet will be furious as his squad has mounted very little challenge to the second-place Gunners, and Sunderland is poised to remain in the drop zone thanks to some nifty plays by Arsenal… and a massive gaffe from Santiago Vergini.
Vergini and his right side teammates were pressed by Arsenal, and he attempted a back pass to goalkeeper Vito Marrone. Problem: the path of Olivier Giroud was between the two, as the Frenchman darted to intercept the pass and easily slot home.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs