Feb 22, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Arsenal gave its latest tribute to a Gunners legend with the unveiling of a Dennis Bergkamp statue before Saturday’s 4-1 win over Sunderland, and Arsene Wenger paid Tomas Rosicky a lofty compliment after his big performance in the win.
”Rosicky took the role of Bergkamp today,” said the Arsenal manager.
The 33-year-old Czech midfielder scored a goal before halftime, making a 1-2 passing play off a Sunderland defender, and earlier provided a major part of the build-up along with Lukas Podolski before Jack Wilshere and Olivier Giroud combined to give Arsenal a 1-0 lead.
“Rosicky’s goal is one of the best. It’s how we want to play and, when it’s successful, you’re happy,” Wenger said after the match.
The match was one of smooth sailing for the Gunners who held 65 possession, won the corner battle 7-3 and put nine shots on target to Sunderland’s three.
It was also a strong return for Olivier Giroud, who scored a brace after a week of rumors of infidelity to both his wife and team (not that the two should be equated).
“I had no hesitation about his strength of character,” Wenger said of his French striker. “He did well.”
Wenger was also asked to reflect on Bergkamp’s contributions to the London club.
“He changed the destiny of the club as he was the first big star to arrive here,” Wenger said. “Everyone admired Dennis in our team, everyone speaks about his class. He was also loyal to this club.”
- Southampton name former Edmonton Oilers coach its new chairman 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 0
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League