Match of the Day Analysis: Arsenal’s easy day against Sunderland (and what it says about the Black Cats’ relegation battle)
Feb 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
There are no easy games in the Premier League, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe agree, but yesterday on NBCSN’s Match of the Day, the two studio analysts disagreed on what Arsenal’s relatively easy day against Sunderland said about the Gunners.
For one analyst, the Black Cats’ lack of resistance gave Arsenal as close to a pass as a team can get in the Premier League. For the other, there seems to be a double standard when people talk about the Gunners. If we were discussion a 4-1 win for Manchester City or Liverpool, we’d be lauded their character. With Arsenal, a long run without silverware seems to have engendered more skepticism.
As for Sunderland, the three-goal loss in North London has raised new questions as to whether the team came pull itself out of the drop. Whereas Guy Poyet once had the Black Cats on track to rise away a relegation battle, for one day Sunderland appeared to embrace their first division-threatened fate.
Above, NBC’s analysts discuss the team’s form, noting impending battles against fellow bottom-of-the-standings clubs may prove more important than the cup battles the Black Cats are scheduled to fight.
- What a photo: Lazio plays to near-empty Stadio Olimpico as fans protest club president 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 4
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear