Match of the Day Analysis: Arsenal’s easy day against Sunderland (and what it says about the Black Cats’ relegation battle)
Feb 23, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
There are no easy games in the Premier League, Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe agree, but yesterday on NBCSN’s Match of the Day, the two studio analysts disagreed on what Arsenal’s relatively easy day against Sunderland said about the Gunners.
For one analyst, the Black Cats’ lack of resistance gave Arsenal as close to a pass as a team can get in the Premier League. For the other, there seems to be a double standard when people talk about the Gunners. If we were discussion a 4-1 win for Manchester City or Liverpool, we’d be lauded their character. With Arsenal, a long run without silverware seems to have engendered more skepticism.
As for Sunderland, the three-goal loss in North London has raised new questions as to whether the team came pull itself out of the drop. Whereas Guy Poyet once had the Black Cats on track to rise away a relegation battle, for one day Sunderland appeared to embrace their first division-threatened fate.
Above, NBC’s analysts discuss the team’s form, noting impending battles against fellow bottom-of-the-standings clubs may prove more important than the cup battles the Black Cats are scheduled to fight.
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 0
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 2
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2