Premier League Sunday Review: Liverpool score four more; Newcastle, Norwich City back in the win column
Feb 23, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
In terms of the league’s goals scored column, much of the attention throughout the Premier League’s 2013-14 season has been focused on Manchester City, whose recent scoring slumber (one goal in 270 minutes) has brought their 38-game pace to 100.8. In the process, and somewhat quietly, the Citizens have been passed for the most goals in the Premier League. With two goals each from Daniel Sturridge and Jordan Henderson on Sunday, Liverpool’s now up to 70 goals this season, their 4-3 win over visiting Swansea City pushing them one goal ahead of the Citizens.
There’s a big asterisk to that. City, having played 26 goals, still have a match in hand on the Reds. Nonetheless, the race for the Premier League record that we’ve been quietly tracking all season has more than one contestant. Liverpool are on pace for 98.5 goals, within striking distance of the 103 goals Chelsea scored in 2009-10. With 13 goals in their last four games, the Reds recent returns may leave them favorite to set the league’s all-time mark.
Elsewhere, Newcastle ended a scoring drought that’d extended over nine games, scoring in stoppage time to down Aston Villa 1-0 at St. James’ Park. The same scoreline saw Norwich City to victory over visiting Spurs, with Robert Snodgrass‘s early second half goal giving the Canaries a valuable three points as they try to ensure their Premier League survival.
Check out all the goals, above.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Defiant win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1