Premier League Sunday Review: Liverpool score four more; Newcastle, Norwich City back in the win column
Feb 23, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
In terms of the league’s goals scored column, much of the attention throughout the Premier League’s 2013-14 season has been focused on Manchester City, whose recent scoring slumber (one goal in 270 minutes) has brought their 38-game pace to 100.8. In the process, and somewhat quietly, the Citizens have been passed for the most goals in the Premier League. With two goals each from Daniel Sturridge and Jordan Henderson on Sunday, Liverpool’s now up to 70 goals this season, their 4-3 win over visiting Swansea City pushing them one goal ahead of the Citizens.
There’s a big asterisk to that. City, having played 26 goals, still have a match in hand on the Reds. Nonetheless, the race for the Premier League record that we’ve been quietly tracking all season has more than one contestant. Liverpool are on pace for 98.5 goals, within striking distance of the 103 goals Chelsea scored in 2009-10. With 13 goals in their last four games, the Reds recent returns may leave them favorite to set the league’s all-time mark.
Elsewhere, Newcastle ended a scoring drought that’d extended over nine games, scoring in stoppage time to down Aston Villa 1-0 at St. James’ Park. The same scoreline saw Norwich City to victory over visiting Spurs, with Robert Snodgrass‘s early second half goal giving the Canaries a valuable three points as they try to ensure their Premier League survival.
Check out all the goals, above.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire