Feb 24, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
When we talk about rising stars in MLS, any smart list will have New England’s Diego Fagundez right at the tippy top.
Fagundez, still just 19, is about to enter his fourth MLS season. And it will be a big one, because the slim attacker will now have to carry the burden of expectations following his breakout season in 2013.
With 13 goals last year, Fagundez wasn’t close to the league scoring leadership. But in some ways his 13 strikes (fifth best in MLS) was as impressive as the higher sums generated by Camilo, Mike Magee, Marco Di Vaio and Robbie Keane, the only MLS men with more goals that Fagundez last year.
Considering that Fagundez didn’t take penalty kicks for his team, like the others, and considering his age, that total is nothing short of outstanding.
That, by the way, was the best total yet for an MLS teenager. (A list that includes Freddy Adu, Jozy Altidore and Juan Agudelo.)
So, get yourself ahead of the curve on getting to know the young man who still lives in his parents’ basement. This excellent feature from the Boston Globe is stocking stuffed with great details of this up-and-comers “double life.”
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 0
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear