Feb 24, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
In the build-up to Saturday’s match between Stoke City and Arsenal, the Daily Mail has revealed that Gunners midfielder Aaron Ramsey has been warned of the hostile reception he’ll receive at the Britannia Stadium.
The threat has come from a Stoke fanzine called “The Oatcake” that features a picture of Ramsey celebrating his goal in last September’s 3-1 victory over the Potters and a headline that reads: “Okay Mr Ramsey. All bets are off.”
Inside the fanzine Ramsey is warned to expect a difficult time next time he travels to Stoke, saying: “By running directly over to the travelling Stoke fans pointing, smiling and giving us the ‘shush’ finger you seem more than happy for this stupid situation to continue to be drawn out.
The harsh words are sure to have Arsenal fans at a loss after the Britannia was the site where Ramsey suffered the horrific leg-break in February 2010. In a poor challenge from Ryan Shawcross, who was issued a straight red card, Ramey’s tibia and fibula were snapped requiring immediate surgery and ending his season. To his credit, the incident had Shawcross in tears and reports claim the center-back immediately sent Ramsey an apology and well-wishes in his recovery.
While the fanzine piece is likely the work of a few radical Stoke supporters looking to get a rise out of readers, Arsenal fans will no doubt view it as a class-less act. Perhaps they will have a laugh, however, by the lack of due diligence on the publisher’s part as Ramsey is unlikely to travel to Stoke as he recovers from a thigh strain.
- Men In Blazers podcast: A happy PL return, while Spencer Lanning talks ‘football’ 0
- Captain Clint fires Seattle Sounders to US Open Cup crown in 3-1 extra time win over Philadelphia 6
- Report: FA to overhaul work permit rules to cut down on non-EU players 6
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 9
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0