Mourinho slams journalist as “a disgrace” after damaging private conversation leaked

Feb 25, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Chelsea Press Conference Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has sensationally hit back at a journalist who was recording a conversation without Chelsea’s manager knowing.

Transcripts of what Mourinho said, when he thought the camera was off, have been leaked out by a journalist from Canal Plus at a recent sponsors event as the Portuguese boss joked to a Swiss businessman about striker Samuel Eto’o and Chelsea’s other forwards and made clear his intentions to sign Monaco forward Radamel Falcao.

On Tuesday Mourinho defended his damaging comments as he had a face like thunder after being under grilled in his prematch press conference in Istanbul, before the Blues’ UEFA Champions League clash against Galatasaray on Wednesday.

Asked if he was embarrassed by his own comments, Mourinho lashed out.

“I don’t think you should be happy that a colleague is able to record private conversation and to make it public, I think you should all be a bit embarrassed as it is against etiquette you have to had in your work,” Mourinho said. “From my point of view, is a not happy comment, absolutely. From an ethical point of view it is a disgrace.”

Mourinho then went on somewhat of a rampage and tried to justify his comments which saw him criticize Eto’o and Chelsea other forwards.

“I am not defending what I have said. I am attacking something that is fundamental in your professional area,” Mourinho said. “That person shows exactly what he is and what he doesn’t know about the job. From my perspective the comment is not a good one.”

(MORE: Mourinho – Chelsea can’t win the league because they lack a scorer)

Despite Mourinho’s comment about Eto’o, where the Chelsea manager said the following on his Cameroon striker when asked if the Blues could win the Premier League. “No, we don’t have any scorer. Samuel Eto’o? He is 32-years-old, maybe 35, I don’t know.”

source: AP

Eto’o is at the center of a huge controversy as Mourinho was recorded without his knowledge.

Those comments, along with Mourinho stating his admiration for Falcao, could have a damaging impact on his relationship with his own team. But the Portuguese stated he would never criticize his players in public and usually jumps to their defense.

“It is not something I would do in a serious way, it is nothing something I would say in a serious interview,” Mourinho continued. “First of all because I don’t make fun. Second, if there are managers in the world that all defend their players, I am obviously one of them. Third, Samuel Eto’o is a four-time Champions League winner. It was with him that I had my best ever season of my career at Inter. He is one of the few players who is working with me at a second different club and a manger never does that when he doesn’t like the player or the person.”

But the comments against Eto’o, who is Chelsea’s top scorer in the PL with just six to his name this season, are sure to cause a rift between the two. But Mourinho insists there should be no issue and then dramatically dragged up a previous comment by Eto’o where he spoke out against his current boss several years ago.

“He has no reason to be upset, because also he said a few yeas ago ‘Mourinho is the only player in the world I would never play for,’ and after on year he was playing with me at Inter and now he is playing with me here,” Mourinho said. “There is no story. I repeat, it was a funny conversation between somebody that doesn’t belong in the football world. It is a disgrace that someone is recording a private conversation when obviously I didn’t know.”

We haven’t heard the last of this.

Latest Posts
  1. MLS playoff update: How does postseason picture look right now?

Oct 31, 2014, 12:13 AM EDT

mauro-diaz-10-of-fc-dallas Getty Images

After FC Dallas and the New York Red Bulls defeated their opponents in the first two games of the MLS playoffs, the postseason picture exists in its beginning stages.

2. Robbie Keane, regardless of playoffs, will play in US-Ireland match overseas

Oct 30, 2014, 11:37 PM EDT

Los Angeles Galaxy  v Chivas USA Getty Images

Robbie Keane stands ready to play for his international side right after the LA Galaxy’s playoff contests vs. Real Salt Lake.

3. WATCH: Men in Blazers preview Round 10

Oct 30, 2014, 9:38 PM EDT

Can United bounce back from 'that' defeat at Leicester? Getty Images

Men in Blazers preview Round 10, most notably the Manchester derby.

4. Fernando Torres on time at Chelsea: ‘I needed to feel important’

Oct 30, 2014, 8:36 PM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-CHELSEA-STEAUA BUCHAREST

Fernando Torres, expanding on his decision to leave Chelsea on loan, says he wanted to “feel important.”

5. Sam Allardyce delighted Newcastle hasn’t axed Pardew

Oct 30, 2014, 7:21 PM EDT

Alan+Pardew+Sam+Allardyce+VFGweDnwiSUm Getty Images

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is happy for the recent triumphs of criticized Newcastle manager Alan Pardew.

6. Wayne Rooney cleared to play in Manchester derby

Oct 30, 2014, 6:35 PM EDT

Will United surge towards the top four with 14 games to go? AP

Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney will be available in the upcoming Manchester derby following his three-match suspension.

7. Celtic midfielder Aleksandar Tonev faces seven-game ban over racism

Oct 30, 2014, 5:56 PM EDT

Aleksandar-Tonev-529522 Getty Images

Action taken against alleged racist actions in the Scottish Premiership.

8. Daniel Sturridge links injury problems to his ‘Carribean vibes’

Oct 30, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT

Manchester City Liverpool Soccer AP

Sturridge on injury woes: “Maybe it’s my body type, maybe it’s hereditary.”

9. Fabio Capello attempted to ink Messi on loan at Juventus

Oct 30, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT

FC Barcelona v Club Leon - Joan Gamper Trophy Getty Images

A young Messi was eyed by Juventus in 2005, says Russia manager Frank Capello.

10. Twitter reacts to Los Angeles FC’s entry into Major League Soccer

Oct 30, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT

B1NhSSECIAIZL5p

How has the soccer world (via Twitter) responded to the news? With a mixture of interest and humor.

11. Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors

Oct 30, 2014, 2:49 PM EDT

@MLS @MLS

In what will be called “Los Angeles Football Club” as it goes through its branding, MLS has announced that L.A. has officially been awarded another team.

12. PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video)

Oct 30, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Premier League

Mike Prindiville and Joe Prince-Wright join Jenna Corrado to discuss the Manchester Derby between Manchester United and Manchester City.

13. Alan Pardew: The Premier League’s antihero

Oct 30, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT

Pardew Getty Images

Like Steve McQueen in “Papillon,” only nattily-attired, the Newcastle United manager just seems to be constantly yelling out, “Hey… I’m still here.”

14. Another Premier League club linked with US investor, ex-MLB owner

Oct 30, 2014, 12:09 PM EDT

Swansea

He’s being linked with Swansea City, though club chairman Huw Jenkins said while the club is entertaining investors, any specific names would be “pure speculation.”

15. European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022

Oct 30, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT

Qatar 2022

The proposed moves would leave only 10 days prep time before the World Cup began, and would also alter the UEFA Champions League schedule.

16. Zombie Luis Suarez terrifies London (Yes, this video is a Halloween prank)

Oct 30, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 9.52.50 AM

What do you think? Mean-spirited to the public or just a decent Candid Camera-style prank?

17. Emotional Whitecaps react to controversial PK ouster: “It was such a soft call.”

Oct 30, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Matias Laba, Kendall Waston,  Michel AP

“I’ve got 30 and 34-year-olds in my locker room in tears because we feel it’s been unfairly taken away from us,” said coach Carl Robinson.

18. Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler

Oct 30, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT

FC St. Pauli v Borussia Dortmund - DFB Cup Getty Images

And it’s claimed that Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will sign a veteran back from Juventus, bucking his trends of signing attackers and youth.

PST Extra: The Manchester derby