Mourinho slams journalist as “a disgrace” after damaging private conversation leaked

Feb 25, 2014, 9:03 AM EST

Chelsea Press Conference Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has sensationally hit back at a journalist who was recording a conversation without Chelsea’s manager knowing.

Transcripts of what Mourinho said, when he thought the camera was off, have been leaked out by a journalist from Canal Plus at a recent sponsors event as the Portuguese boss joked to a Swiss businessman about striker Samuel Eto’o and Chelsea’s other forwards and made clear his intentions to sign Monaco forward Radamel Falcao.

On Tuesday Mourinho defended his damaging comments as he had a face like thunder after being under grilled in his prematch press conference in Istanbul, before the Blues’ UEFA Champions League clash against Galatasaray on Wednesday.

Asked if he was embarrassed by his own comments, Mourinho lashed out.

“I don’t think you should be happy that a colleague is able to record private conversation and to make it public, I think you should all be a bit embarrassed as it is against etiquette you have to had in your work,” Mourinho said. “From my point of view, is a not happy comment, absolutely. From an ethical point of view it is a disgrace.”

Mourinho then went on somewhat of a rampage and tried to justify his comments which saw him criticize Eto’o and Chelsea other forwards.

“I am not defending what I have said. I am attacking something that is fundamental in your professional area,” Mourinho said. “That person shows exactly what he is and what he doesn’t know about the job. From my perspective the comment is not a good one.”

(MORE: Mourinho – Chelsea can’t win the league because they lack a scorer)

Despite Mourinho’s comment about Eto’o, where the Chelsea manager said the following on his Cameroon striker when asked if the Blues could win the Premier League. “No, we don’t have any scorer. Samuel Eto’o? He is 32-years-old, maybe 35, I don’t know.”

source: AP

Eto’o is at the center of a huge controversy as Mourinho was recorded without his knowledge.

Those comments, along with Mourinho stating his admiration for Falcao, could have a damaging impact on his relationship with his own team. But the Portuguese stated he would never criticize his players in public and usually jumps to their defense.

“It is not something I would do in a serious way, it is nothing something I would say in a serious interview,” Mourinho continued. “First of all because I don’t make fun. Second, if there are managers in the world that all defend their players, I am obviously one of them. Third, Samuel Eto’o is a four-time Champions League winner. It was with him that I had my best ever season of my career at Inter. He is one of the few players who is working with me at a second different club and a manger never does that when he doesn’t like the player or the person.”

But the comments against Eto’o, who is Chelsea’s top scorer in the PL with just six to his name this season, are sure to cause a rift between the two. But Mourinho insists there should be no issue and then dramatically dragged up a previous comment by Eto’o where he spoke out against his current boss several years ago.

“He has no reason to be upset, because also he said a few yeas ago ‘Mourinho is the only player in the world I would never play for,’ and after on year he was playing with me at Inter and now he is playing with me here,” Mourinho said. “There is no story. I repeat, it was a funny conversation between somebody that doesn’t belong in the football world. It is a disgrace that someone is recording a private conversation when obviously I didn’t know.”

We haven’t heard the last of this.

Latest Posts
  1. Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling

Dec 18, 2014, 3:00 PM EST

As we head into the busy festive season, here’s how the rankings of power look before Week 17.

2. Theo Walcott could return for Arsenal at Liverpool this weekend

Dec 18, 2014, 2:46 PM EST

Arsenal Training Session Arsenal Training Session

Winger set to return to full training, may return to action this Sunday at Anfield.

3. Final rankings of 2014 released by FIFA, as USA climb one place

Dec 18, 2014, 2:11 PM EST

Brazil Soccer WCup Belgium US AP

Germany end 2014 on top, as the USMNT sit steady inside the top 30.

4. Liverpool’s Mario Balotelli banned, heavily fined by English FA after offensive post

Dec 18, 2014, 1:26 PM EST

Balotelli

Balotelli will now miss Liverpool’s match against Arsenal this weekend.

5. Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar

Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 PM EST

Seattle Sounders v Los Angeles Galaxy Seattle Sounders v Los Angeles Galaxy

Rogers worries about anti-gay laws in Russia, Qatar during World Cup tournaments.

6. Jurgen Klinsmann’s son, Jonathan, stars for US U-18’s but gets red card vs. Germany

Dec 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EST

Source: Action Images Source: Action Images

Klinsmann’s son make six saves, but gets second-yellow as youth side beat Germany.

7. Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City

Dec 18, 2014, 8:50 AM EST

City of Las Vegas

Vegas, baby! New soccer stadium gets seal of approval from city council… all they need know is an MLS expansion franchise.

8. Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license

Dec 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EST

Germany Press Conference & Training Getty Images

Reus has been speeding around in his Aston Martin without a license. Gets biggest motoring fine in German history.

9. Ashley Cole might be returning to the Premier League

Dec 17, 2014, 11:13 PM EST

AS Roma v FC Bayern Muenchen - UEFA Champions League

Could Cole be returning to the Premier League?

10. Club World Cup Roundup: Real Madrid set to play San Lorenzo in final

Dec 17, 2014, 8:40 PM EST

Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale

Real Madrid cruised past Azul 4-0 and will be the heavy favorites come Saturday.

11. Report: Houston Dynamo the front-runner to land Erick ‘Cubo’ Torres

Dec 17, 2014, 8:01 PM EST

Erick Torres 2

Huge coup for the Dynamo, if they can pull it off.

12. China to require every kid to play soccer

Dec 17, 2014, 6:02 PM EST

U20 Women China Germany Soccer AP

China making a big, big play into soccer.

13. League Cup Semi-Finals: Liverpool vs. Chelsea and Spurs vs. Sheffield United

Dec 17, 2014, 5:09 PM EST

Tottenham Hotspur v Newcastle United - Capital One Cup Quarter-Final Getty Images

Three Premier League sides make the semi-final along with League One’s Sheffield United.

Man United thrash Liverpool