Freddie Adu won’t be offered a contract by Blackpool

Feb 26, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

It’s back to the drawing board for American midfielder, Freddy Adu, after Blackpool manager Barry Ferguson explained he wouldn’t be offering the trialist a contract.

“There is nothing happening with Freddy,” Ferguson told the Blackpool Gazette.

“He’s come in and worked hard with us. He is a great lad but I’m more than happy with what I’ve got. I have a strong squad.”

Adu had been training with the Championship side for the last three weeks in hopes of being signed. It now appears that won’t happen.

Since turning professional in 2004, Adu has played for 9 different clubs in five different countries.

After beginning his career at DC United, Adu switched to Real Salt Lake in 2007 before moving to Benfica in the same year. He spent four years under contract with the Portuguese side, going on loan to Monaco, Belenenses, Aris and Caykur Rizespor in the process. He then returned to MLS with the Philadelphia Union in 2011 before moving on to Brazilian side Bahia in 2013 where he made four appearances.

1. midtec2005 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Well… that stinks. He’s going in the right direction though, sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before things can improve. He should hop on a plane to Norway, I bet Bob Bradley would sign him. And the style of play is probably less physical than in England. Quality of life is also fantastic.

2. rafibomb10 - Feb 26, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I think it would be best if he came back to the MLS. 3rd time is a charm. He needs playing time and he won’t get that in Europe.

An MLS team with a strong head coach would be perfect for him. Clearly a reunion with DC should not be in the cards. I’d love to see him land with Sporting KC, a team that uses wingers would be a nice fit for Adu.

Just my opinion…

3. lavatomy - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Should try his luck with a mid table team in Mexico.. or maybe the Cosmos??

• mdac1012 - Feb 26, 2014 at 11:32 AM

The Cosmos or another NASL side would probably be a smart move for him. Plenty of playing time to find his game with little pressure.

• drewvt6 - Feb 26, 2014 at 12:32 PM

He’d get murdered in the lower US divisions. He’s not a hustle player and those leagues aren’t generally rewarding to skill players who aren’t going to get stuck in on every tackle and run mindlessly for 90 minutes.

He needs to get somewhere like a lower division Mexican club.

• mvktr2 - Feb 26, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I’m with drewvt6, ever since he landed in the 2nd division of turkish football I’ve felt the best place for him was a Mexican second div. club. It’s open attacking soccer but played with structure. Stylistically it seems a perfect fit and the perfect place for him to have found his feet years ago … now, who knows? I believe he was simply like so many prospects in any sport, just didn’t develop well beyond a certain age.

• mdac1012 - Feb 27, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Murdered in lower division U.S. league? Running mindlessly for 90 minutes? At least your not prone to hyperbole. I don’t know what kind of fit he would be in the U.S. Pro League and maybe a lower division Mexican league would be better for him, but I don’t see a problem in the NASL. I watched some Cosmos games this year, Marcos Senna wasn’t exactly throwing his body around the pitch and getting “stuck in on every tackle” and he did alright.

• drewvt6 - Mar 1, 2014 at 10:44 PM

I watched US lower division for years and know what happens to the little skill guys. In fact I watched Adu play against lower division competition as a 15 and 16 year old and was surprised he had two functioning ankles afterwards. The leagues are reckless, maintaining defensive shape is an afterthought and hustle is king in those leagues.

4. cashtext4all.com - Mar 10, 2014 at 7:57 AM