Feb 27, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
Once every four years, we are reminded of the foreign press’ fascination with England’s wives and girlfriends, aka the “WAGs.”
I know some people think “WAGs” is a derogatory term. I disagree; after all, it’s just an acronym for “wives and girlfriends,” mostly only pertaining to the players of England’s national team.
So I suspect what really upsets the conflicted is that media outlets are actually paying potentially invasive attention to the whereabouts, whys and wherefores of a bunch of women who are not actually public figures, but only attached to them.
Well, whether you like the term or not, it’s kind of hard to pay attention to soccer in a World Cup year without hearing about them.
England manager Roy Hodgson has apparently yielded permission for some time in the Miami sun for the England wives and girlfriends. This will be at the time England is in South Florida for pre-World Cup prep.
- David Moyes tipped by Roberto Martinez to make swift return to management 0
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 2
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 3
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 4
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 2