Feb 27, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
Once every four years, we are reminded of the foreign press’ fascination with England’s wives and girlfriends, aka the “WAGs.”
I know some people think “WAGs” is a derogatory term. I disagree; after all, it’s just an acronym for “wives and girlfriends,” mostly only pertaining to the players of England’s national team.
So I suspect what really upsets the conflicted is that media outlets are actually paying potentially invasive attention to the whereabouts, whys and wherefores of a bunch of women who are not actually public figures, but only attached to them.
Well, whether you like the term or not, it’s kind of hard to pay attention to soccer in a World Cup year without hearing about them.
England manager Roy Hodgson has apparently yielded permission for some time in the Miami sun for the England wives and girlfriends. This will be at the time England is in South Florida for pre-World Cup prep.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3