Feb 27, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT
Once every four years, we are reminded of the foreign press’ fascination with England’s wives and girlfriends, aka the “WAGs.”
I know some people think “WAGs” is a derogatory term. I disagree; after all, it’s just an acronym for “wives and girlfriends,” mostly only pertaining to the players of England’s national team.
So I suspect what really upsets the conflicted is that media outlets are actually paying potentially invasive attention to the whereabouts, whys and wherefores of a bunch of women who are not actually public figures, but only attached to them.
Well, whether you like the term or not, it’s kind of hard to pay attention to soccer in a World Cup year without hearing about them.
England manager Roy Hodgson has apparently yielded permission for some time in the Miami sun for the England wives and girlfriends. This will be at the time England is in South Florida for pre-World Cup prep.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man United looking for revenge vs. Swansea City 1
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Liverpool suffer stunning home defeats 0
- Tim Howard ready for USMNT return, as heroics rescue Everton 1
- Three things we learned from Tottenham Hotspur vs. Everton 2
- Liverpool 0-3 West Ham United: Hammers stun Reds at Anfield in fiery encounter 2
- Chelsea 1-2 Crystal Palace: Blues stunned at home by Eagles 5