Feb 27, 2014, 9:05 AM EDT
Liverpool is set to honor the memory of the Hillsborough 96 with a charity match called the “Celebration of the 96″ to mark the 25th anniversary of the tragedy in Sheffield.
The match will have big names on the field and big names in the coaches boxes, as Kenny Dalglish will operate a Liverpool club against an International XI led by Gerard Houllier.
Meanwhile, the list of players committed to performing in the match is impressive:
The match will be played on April 21, the day after Easter, which falls 25 years and six days after the stadium disaster that took the lives of 96 Liverpool supporters at the 1989 FA Cup semi-final match at Sheffield United.
Margaret Aspinall, the leader of the Hillsborough Family Support Group who lost her 18-year-old son James in the tragedy, told the the club’s official website: “We wanted to host an event to celebrate the lives of the 96 and give the people the chance to come to Anfield for a fun afternoon.”
While some clubs are debating a return to standing room supporters, the resonance of such an anniversary and its match participants may remind those behind the coffers that sometimes your bottom line can afford to leave “well-enough” alone.
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 2
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs
- The FIFA World Cup Trophy for the First Time in Sarajevo
- Despite Early Deficit, Revs Could've Climbed Back vs. Dynamo
- Red Bulls' Opening Act Has A Nightmare Finish
- MLS 2014: Dream Team of Week 1
- Jens Lehmann Downplays Guardiola's Bayern Munich
- Chivas USA Hang on to Take all 3 Points From Chicago Fire
- Three Things: Manchester City - Wigan
- Monarcas Morelia Hire 4th Manager of the Season