Feb 27, 2014, 3:13 PM EST
The MLS web site put together a list of players confirmed to have been called up for their countries for the upcoming FIFA fixture dates.
While the US and Mexico lists are yet to be finalized, there’s plenty of MLS players in the mix for country. Our own Steve Davis will let you know the implications of the increasing role of top-notch internationals in MLS play a bit later, but we’ll start with the basics here.
Tim Cahill is heading back to England, where the former Everton man will suit up for Australia in a fixture with Ecuador in London. Meanwhile, the English capital will play host to England and Denmark on the same date with Toronto FC’s Jermain Defoe getting a country call.
Freak goalkeeper and No. 1 overall pick Andre Blake will be leaving Philadelphia to join five other MLS players in Jamaica camp for matches against Barbados and St. Lucia. Also in the fray will be Alvas Powerll of Portland, Michael Seaton of DC, Darren Mattocks of Vancouver, Deshorn Brown of Colorado and JeVaughn Watson of Dallas.
The Whitecaps will have Steve Beitashour suiting up for Iran as they host Guinea, while Soony Saad (KC) will be with Lebanon for its match against Thailand in a Group B Asian Cup qualifier.
Goalkeeper Julio Cesar will leave his loan stop in Toronto for Brazil’s match in Johannesburg against South Africa, while Columbus has a pair of Costa Rican players among four MLS products leading their nation into a date against Paraguay. Giancarlo Gonzalez and Waylon Francis join New York’s Roy Miller and Real Salt Lake’s Alvaro Saborio in San Jose.
Honduras matches up with Venezuela with Jerry Bengtson (New England), Victor Bernardez (San Jose), Martin Chavez (Colorad0) and Boniek Garcia (Houston) getting nods from the blue and white.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0