Feb 27, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
I’ve known Jason Kreis since he was a rookie midfielder who practically refused to speak to the press; he humbly preferred that reporters talked to the established veterans, never mind that he was already one of his club’s top talents.
Still, I cannot pretend to know what’s in the guy’s mind.
I can, however, speculate with some education. And I would speculate that this Carles Puyol-to-New York City FC thing is a bunch of hooey. As we know, 80-90 percent of these aging-Euro-to-MLS media plants are hooey, so I’m not exactly betting the longshots here.
No, Kreis probably doesn’t have the final word on this stuff. Honestly, between the suits abroad (at Manchester City) and technical director Claudio Reyna, who knows where the balance of power lies with this fledgling of a club?
But here’s the deal. Puyol, who presided so regally on some absolutely wonderful FC Barcelona teams, is about to turn 36 (on April 13). So, that will a “36” with a recent history of injury – and that is not a good 36.
New York City FC will not begin passing and trapping until 2015 (when the club officially begins as MLS club No. 20). So, a month into his first MLS season, Puyol would turn 37.
And as I like to remind everyone at every turn, the extensive travel and the summer heat of MLS is tough, tough adjustment. It’s tough on a 27-year-old, much less a 37-year-old with a history of injury.
Chances of Puyol leading Kreis’ back line a year from now? Just a little bit better than the chances that I’ll be leading his back line at this time next year.
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Darmian to Manchester United, Clasie to Southampton 0
- Chelsea and Tottenham to battle for Wembley Stadium as temporary home 0
- 2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too 5
- New York City mayor could give USWNT ticker tape parade in Manhattan 2
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 2
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0