Feb 27, 2014, 12:18 PM EST
The big names have been flying as New York City FC and the Unnamed FC Miami Beckham United Haircuts continue to duke it out over who can be mentioned with the biggest player ahead of actually playing a soccer game.
And while Xavi and Cristiano Ronaldo have represented La Liga in the rumor mill over recent weeks, it’s now Barcelona legend and Spanish center back Carles Puyol who is being linked with a big money interest in New York, according to Spanish media’s Diario Gol.
The report says Puyol would be NYCFC’s first designated player when they take the field for their first matches in 2015, and he hasn’t featured much for Barcelona this year thanks largely to injury (though there have been questions of form as well).
Puyol signed a contract extension last month that would keep him in Barca colors through 2016, so this would become a transfer situation. It’s been a decade and a half in Barcelona for the wild-haired back, and as the status of the league moves away from simply a retirement home for has-beens, there is some question as to how effective he would be in the light blue for Jason Kreis.
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Big boys tangle ahead of League Cup final 0
- Bundesliga wrap: Dortmund and Bayern flying high with big goal performances 0
- Premier League roundup: Manchester United go third, tight wins elsewhere 0