Feb 28, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Set to be the youngest player at the World Cup in Brazil this summer, 17-year-old Alen Halilovic has hit it big on the club level as well.
The Catalans reportedly beat the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, and Manchester United to his signature.
Already the owner of three caps for Croatia, Halilovic is likely to make the squad for this summer’s World Cup.
Tottenham were nearly the recipients of his signature last summer, but he decided at the last moment to stay with his club Dinamo Zagreb for another year to increase his reputation, at the request of his father.
A natural right winger, Halilovic has already played in both the Champions League and Europa League this season with Zagreb, a tall feat for such a young player. He became the second-youngest player ever to appear in the Champions League when he came on as a substitute against Paris Saint-Germain in October of 2012.
It was his Instagram account where the transfer to Barcelona was first announced.
Here’s a pair of goals he scored earlier this year in the Croatian 1. HNL:
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 0
- USMNT releases 23-man roster for September friendlies 0
- Swansea City 2-1 Manchester United: Swans comeback stuns Red Devils 3
- Sunday Transfer Rumor Roundup: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Wanyama to leave Saints 1
- Manchester City officially signs Kevin de Bruyne 1
- Watch Live: Swansea City vs Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0