Feb 28, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Set to be the youngest player at the World Cup in Brazil this summer, 17-year-old Alen Halilovic has hit it big on the club level as well.
The Catalans reportedly beat the likes of Arsenal, Tottenham, and Manchester United to his signature.
Already the owner of three caps for Croatia, Halilovic is likely to make the squad for this summer’s World Cup.
Tottenham were nearly the recipients of his signature last summer, but he decided at the last moment to stay with his club Dinamo Zagreb for another year to increase his reputation, at the request of his father.
A natural right winger, Halilovic has already played in both the Champions League and Europa League this season with Zagreb, a tall feat for such a young player. He became the second-youngest player ever to appear in the Champions League when he came on as a substitute against Paris Saint-Germain in October of 2012.
It was his Instagram account where the transfer to Barcelona was first announced.
Here’s a pair of goals he scored earlier this year in the Croatian 1. HNL:
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 4
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 0
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1
- Teams confirm Dejan Lovren completes transfer from Southampton to Liverpool 0
- Loïc Rémy fails medical, move to Liverpool is off 5