Feb 28, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
The USMNT only three days ago moved their March 5 friendly against Ukraine away from the country suffering from political unrest (which now appears to be even better of a move).
However, the match is once again under a black cloud of doubt, with no word yet on its fate.
A car bomb targeting a top Cyprus official detonated today, and while nobody was injured in the blast, all first-division matches in the Cypriot First Division were postponed this weekend as a result.
Cypriot police confirmed that an explosive device was found on the hood of referee Leontios Trattos’s car, and it detonated early Friday morning.
No word has been given as to why the official was targeted. He most recently was in charge of a 1-0 derby win last Saturday for Apollon Limassol over AEL Limassol. Eight yellow cards were handed out in that match.
The Ukraine match is scheduled for the final day in FIFA’s international window, meaning that postponement of the match is out of the question. This is the last FIFA international window before the 2014 World Cup, and is therefore a last opportunity for Jurgen Klinsmann to call up European-based players.
His last opportunity to look at domestic players will be on April 2 in a friendly with Mexico scheduled to be played in Phoenix, AZ.
The USMNT friendly match, originally scheduled to be played in Kharkiv, Ukraine, was moved to Larnaca, Cyprus due to political unrest in the former Soviet state.
The US Soccer Federation has not yet commented on the situation.
In the Cypriot First Division, the club with the most name recognition is APOEL (pictured), who won the league title last season and were eliminated in this year’s Europa League group stage, finishing third behind Eintracht Frankfurt and Maccabi Tel Aviv.
- Steven Gerrard will play somewhere next season, Liverpool deal or not 0
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12