Feb 28, 2014, 9:03 PM EDT
There’s a long way to go for this process to play out, but The Mirror is reporting that Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain are among a 76-club list of teams that are being investigated for a breach of Financial Fair Play.
The new “break-even” rules were implemented in 2012, and UEFA revealed 76 clubs – a third of the total teams in European competition – have given the governing body enough reason to dig deeper.
Clubs under investigation have reportedly been informed and were asked to provide financial information for 2013.
None of this means any action will come hammering home on Manchester City or anyone else, but the process has begun.
The most severe sanctions available to UEFA for a full-scale FFP breach could include a stripping of trophies, hefty fines, a salary cap, and a ban on European competitions at a number of levels.
However, those could also be scaled down to small slaps on the wrist like petty fines or warnings.
The public are a long way from finding out any official information on the clubs in question, as UEFA said they would not reveal clubs under investigation until April.
Any potential sanctions would likely not be handed down until June, and UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino and legal director Alasdair Bell said they are expecting teams to fire back with legal action, going so far as to say a lack of legal backlash would be “strange.”
The pair said UEFA are ready to come down hard on clubs that do not comply, but they don’t expect the full 76 to be in violation. “This figure of 76 clubs is a high figure but it has to be looked at in the perspective of what the end figure will be,” Infantino said.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0