Feb 28, 2014, 9:35 AM EST
With Jermain Defoe suffering a slight injury, as PST’s Mike Prindiville reported on Wednesday, he was unable to give Tottenham Hotspur fans the kind of sendoff he would’ve liked with a final appearance against Dnipro in the Europa League at White Hart Lane on Thursday.
Defoe, 31, waved goodbye to Spurs’ fans from the center circle as he wasn’t fit enough to play and add to his 143 goals in 365 games. But the predatory striker was lauded by fans of the North London club in the stadium, and on Twitter, as his move to Toronto FC moves closer.
In fact if Defoe wasn’t still one of England’s most clinical strikers he would already be on his way to join Ryan Nelsen’s squad but the forward has been called up by England manager Roy Hodgson to play in the Three Lions’ friendly with Denmark next Wednesday. After that he will head to North America to start his MLS career, as Toronto’s March 15 opener against Seattle looms large.
TFC’s GM Tim Bezbatchenko confirmed to reporters that Defoe’s injury isn’t anything serious and that the player will be available for Toronto’s opener and should play some part for England next week.
Here are just some of the good luck and farewell messages Defoe got from Tottenham, his teammates and fans via the teams Twitter account, as the club legend moves on.
Defoe’s Spurs and England teammate Kyle Walker films Defoe’s sendoff.
While Tottenham have made Friday all about saying goodbye to Defoe.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- Sunderland Boss Poyet Challenges Altidore to Prove Him Wrong
- 3 Hopes and One Fear for Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla