Feb 28, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
With Jermain Defoe suffering a slight injury, as PST’s Mike Prindiville reported on Wednesday, he was unable to give Tottenham Hotspur fans the kind of sendoff he would’ve liked with a final appearance against Dnipro in the Europa League at White Hart Lane on Thursday.
Defoe, 31, waved goodbye to Spurs’ fans from the center circle as he wasn’t fit enough to play and add to his 143 goals in 365 games. But the predatory striker was lauded by fans of the North London club in the stadium, and on Twitter, as his move to Toronto FC moves closer.
In fact if Defoe wasn’t still one of England’s most clinical strikers he would already be on his way to join Ryan Nelsen’s squad but the forward has been called up by England manager Roy Hodgson to play in the Three Lions’ friendly with Denmark next Wednesday. After that he will head to North America to start his MLS career, as Toronto’s March 15 opener against Seattle looms large.
TFC’s GM Tim Bezbatchenko confirmed to reporters that Defoe’s injury isn’t anything serious and that the player will be available for Toronto’s opener and should play some part for England next week.
Here are just some of the good luck and farewell messages Defoe got from Tottenham, his teammates and fans via the teams Twitter account, as the club legend moves on.
Defoe’s Spurs and England teammate Kyle Walker films Defoe’s sendoff.
While Tottenham have made Friday all about saying goodbye to Defoe.
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 4
- Leicester City 5-3 Manchester United: Foxes complete comeback for the ages (video) 8
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0