Feb 28, 2014, 5:09 PM EDT
With coach Louis van Gaal previously stating the Netherlands friendly with France is a player’s last chance to make the World Cup roster, there seems to be some chaos at the goalkeeping position.
The pair were among 10 players sliced from a preliminary squad by van Gaal.
Named in their stead is Swansea’s Michel Vorm – who would now appear to be the World Cup favorite – along with Ajax’s 24-year-old Jasper Cillessen and 23-year-old PSV stopper Jeroen Zoet.
Cillessen has been especially impressive, conceding just seven goals in 17 Eredivisie matches and 19 goals in 25 matches overall this season including time in the Champions League and Europa League.
Also left out was Swansea midfielder Jonathan de Guzman, who has been in and out of Swansea’s starting XI of late, managing to last the full 90 minutes just once in his last five appearances.
The omissions do not necessarily mean these players’ chances of making the squad for the World Cup is over, as van Gaal also handed debuts to three Dutch attackers and is likely seeking to learn more about youngsters and fill his final spots rather than name a complete squad.
However, it would certainly serve as a warning to the three players, especially the two goalkeepers, that their spot is not guaranteed. Stekelenburg and Krul have battled for the goalkeeping slot often throughout the past few years along with Swansea’s Michel Vorm, who was included in the squad.
Van Gaal handed debuts to three attackers in his squad, including Cillessen’s 21-year-old Ajax teammate Davy Klassen along with Twente winger Quincy Promes and Feyenoord’s Jean-Paul Boetius.
Also notably left out was Newcastle striker Luuk De Jong, but given his inability to break into the Borussia Monchengladbach squad before his loan to Newscastle, it’s no real surprise.
The match with France is scheduled for Wednesday, March 5th.
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 1
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4