Michael Bradley, Mix Diskerud, Tim Ream withdrawn from United States’ squad for Wednesday vs. Ukraine
Mar 1, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
The typical array of pre-camp withdrawals has claimed one of the United States’ biggest names, with Toronto FC midfielder Michael Bradley one of three players originally named to Jurgen Klinsmann’s squad who will not be joining the team for Wednesday’s game against Ukraine. Rosenburg midfielder Mix Diskerud, recovering from a hip injury, and Bolton defender Tim Ream will also stay with their clubs, U.S. Soccer announced on Saturday.
Bradley will miss Wednesday’s game in Larnaca, Cyprus, with what U.S. Soccer described as a “small issue. Toronto FC open their 2014 Major League Soccer season March 15 in Seattle.
Diskerud has yet to return to full fitness, while Ream has been excused for “personal reasons.” (Update: According to the Washington Post’s Steven Goff, Ream’s withdrawn is on account of the recent birth of his son.)
The withdrawals leave Clint Dempsey as MLS’s only player in Klinsmann’s 21-man team, with three goalkeepers joining six players each at defense, midfield, and forward.
LATEST U.S. ROSTER
GOALKEEPERS (3):Cody Cropper (Southampton), Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton)
DEFENDERS (6): John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Edgar Castillo (Club Tijuana), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), Oguchi Onyewu (Sheffield Wednesday), Will Packwood (Birmingham City)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Barnsley), Danny Williams (Reading)
FORWARDS (6): Juan Agudelo (Utrecht), Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar)
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Peru 0
- Three things we learned from USMNT’s comeback win vs. Peru 0
- USMNT 2-1 Peru: Altidore double leads USA to come-from-behind win 0
- EXCLUSIVE: US Olympic coach Andi Herzog on Rio 2016, MLS, over-age players and more 0
- Real Madrid’s Perez says De Gea move failed because Manchester United lacks transfer “experience” 6
- Preview: USMNT to face Peru in tune-up for CONCACAF playoff vs. Mexico 0