Mar 1, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
With 20 minutes to go against Hull City on Saturday, Newcastle United were cruising as they led 3-1.
But then pandemonium broke out as Newcastle manager Alan Pardew was involved in an altercation with Hull City midfielder David Meyler and the Magpies boss inexplicably sent a headbutt in Meyler’s direction as a mass brawl broke out on the sidelines.
Referee Kevin Friend sent Pardew off and the Newcastle manager watched from the stands as his side won 4-1, but the English manager will be fearful of a lengthy ban and further sanctions for his terrible reaction to being slightly pushed by Meyler as the ball went out of play in front of the Newcastle bench.
Following the game Pardew, to his credit, came out and spoke to the cameras and explained what happened from his point of view and also shared his regret.
“It was a heat of the moment thing. I massively regret it and I will have to sit down from now on. Of course, I didn’t mean to do anything aggressive. I did move my head forward and that’s enough. Perhaps I need to sit down from now on. It’s a shame beacons it’s taken the gloss off a terrific performance. Of course I apologize. I represent a big club.”
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1