Mar 2, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Juventus continues to roll through 2014, this time adding to AC Milan’s misery with 2-0 victory at San Siro. It’s the third time in four years that The Old Lady has won the annual match at Milan, and didn’t lack for entertainment.
Fernando Llorente made sure the score wouldn’t be level at half when he collected a ball from Stephan Lichtsteiner and deposited it in the 44th minute. It ended a half of back-and-forth, setting the stage for the second half.
Some injuries and cards clouded the start of the second half, but Carlos Tevez‘s 16th goal of the season doubled Juve’s advantage in the 68th minute and Milan would not recover. They’ve opened up a double-digit lead on the rest of the table.
As for Milan, they’ve allowed the bottom half of the table to become a distinct possibility. Genoa won to pull even on points with Milan, who are now three points behind Lazio. The Eagles took the air out of Fiorentina in a 1-0 match at Artemio Franchi.
Lazio’s Lorik Cana shocked the home side just five minutes in with a shot into the top left off a corner kick, and though Fiorentina did its best to level… it never came. Apart from Abdoulay Konko hitting the bar just before half, Viola controlled the half and attempted shots like they were going out of style.
The second half was more even, but the final 20 minutes were a series of almost for Fiorentina as they drove down the pitch. Former Manchester United midfielder Anderson was quite active, but for whatever reason Fiorentina refused to send simple crosses into the box, preferring to navigate into a cluttered Lazio box.
It didn’t work, and Fiorentina could not take advantage of draws from both Napoli and Roma above them. It’s looking more and more like a battle to stay in fourth rather than rise for Fiorentina… and it’s their own doing. Finish!
- Roma 0-0 Inter Milan – Roma’s chances were plenty, but the finishing was lacking in the draw.
- Cagliari 3-0 Udinese – Breathing room and relief for the hosts, who get goals from three different players to move ahead of Udinese on goal differential and into the 14th spot.
- Genoa 2-0 Catania – Stefano Sturaro’s first Serie A goal moves Genoa even with Milan as it looks to jump into the top half, as Catania stays in serious relegation danger.
- Atalanta 2-1 Chievo – A face slap gave Bostjan Cesar a second yellow, but 10-man Chievo rallied to draw level before substitute Luca Cigarini found Atalanta’s winner in the 85th minute. The only thing keeping Chievo from the drop zone is goal differential.
- Sassuolo 0-1 Parma – Parma pulls to within one point of fifth-place Inter by holding off the basement dwellers on Marco Parolo’s goal.
- Verona 0-0 Bologna – The visitors’ earned point worth its weight in gold as they stay out of the drop zone, but they’ll rue not taking all three after Rafael saved Rolando Bianchi’s penalty kick.
- Torino 0-2 Sampdoria — Road win helps ease safety concerns for Sampdoria, who stuck in the seventh minute (Stefano Okaka) and the 79th (Manolo Gabbiadini).
- Livorno 1-1 Napoli — A point from this fixture is nice for Livorno, but they still sit in 18th place and have to thank a Pepe Reina own goal for leveling the match.
Aug 21, 2014, 5:22 PM EDT
A new starter will have his chance to stake his claim, while another player will get more looks in camp with the third keeper’s role.
Aug 21, 2014, 4:09 PM EDT
The 35-year-old is taking a step back, making himself unavailable for selection until Sept. 2015.
Aug 21, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
LMA statement: “These were two text messages sent in private at a time Malky felt under great pressure and when he was letting off steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter.”
Aug 21, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
Exciting attacker arrives at Loftus Road for the 2014-15 season.
Aug 21, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Despite being eligible to play for his country, Suarez left off Uruguay’s roster.
Aug 21, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
Khedira turns down new deal at Real. Will the Spaniards cash in on him now?
Aug 21, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Former Liverpool star could be heading to United as Real Madrid seek to trim squad.
Aug 21, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Spurs boss in dramatic U-turn on Europa League after previously dismissing tournament.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT
Leiweke to leave MLSE, as leading sports executive calls it quits in Toronto.
Aug 21, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
After trailing 3-1, LA came roaring back to win 4-3 as Donovan bagged the winner.
Aug 21, 2014, 9:25 AM EDT
Di Maria wants out of Real, will Manchester United be able to pounce for his signature?
Aug 21, 2014, 8:54 AM EDT
Moody, pictured center, has resigned from his role at Palace following damaging allegations.
Aug 21, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Liverpool, AC Milan agree Balotelli transfer as player, agent set to arrive at Anfield.
Aug 21, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Monster moves rumored. Check out all the latest gossip, right here.
Aug 20, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
Both Ronaldo and Ramos have gone to Madrid president Florentino Perez to ask him to keep Di Maria.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT
Sunderland manager Gus Poyet believes United States striker Jozy Altidore is the happiest he has ever seen him.
Malky Mackay and Iain Moody investigated by FA for ‘sexist, racist and homophobic’ text messages while at Cardiff City
Aug 20, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
Malky Mackay has been reported to the Football Association for being involved in a series of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
If Liverpool legend Jamie Carragher showed up to your training to sign autographs, what would you ask him?
Aug 20, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
Arteta’s status means that Jack Wilshere and Mathieu Flamini will be the holding midfield partnership against the Turks.
Aug 20, 2014, 7:25 PM EDT
Champions League play-offs continued on Wednesday with a series of tight contests headlined by a 1-0 victory for FC Porto at Lyon.
- Tim Howard taking a break from U.S. international duty 4
- Report: Xabi Alonso heading to Manchester United 6
- Mario Balotelli edging closer to shock $26 million Liverpool switch 16
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Tiote to Arsenal, Destro to Chelsea 0
- Angel Di Maria gets love from Ronaldo, Sergio Ramos and Diego Simeone 2
- Jozy Altidore is the happiest he’s ever been, says Gus Poyet 3