Mar 2, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Juventus continues to roll through 2014, this time adding to AC Milan’s misery with 2-0 victory at San Siro. It’s the third time in four years that The Old Lady has won the annual match at Milan, and didn’t lack for entertainment.
Fernando Llorente made sure the score wouldn’t be level at half when he collected a ball from Stephan Lichtsteiner and deposited it in the 44th minute. It ended a half of back-and-forth, setting the stage for the second half.
Some injuries and cards clouded the start of the second half, but Carlos Tevez‘s 16th goal of the season doubled Juve’s advantage in the 68th minute and Milan would not recover. They’ve opened up a double-digit lead on the rest of the table.
As for Milan, they’ve allowed the bottom half of the table to become a distinct possibility. Genoa won to pull even on points with Milan, who are now three points behind Lazio. The Eagles took the air out of Fiorentina in a 1-0 match at Artemio Franchi.
Lazio’s Lorik Cana shocked the home side just five minutes in with a shot into the top left off a corner kick, and though Fiorentina did its best to level… it never came. Apart from Abdoulay Konko hitting the bar just before half, Viola controlled the half and attempted shots like they were going out of style.
The second half was more even, but the final 20 minutes were a series of almost for Fiorentina as they drove down the pitch. Former Manchester United midfielder Anderson was quite active, but for whatever reason Fiorentina refused to send simple crosses into the box, preferring to navigate into a cluttered Lazio box.
It didn’t work, and Fiorentina could not take advantage of draws from both Napoli and Roma above them. It’s looking more and more like a battle to stay in fourth rather than rise for Fiorentina… and it’s their own doing. Finish!
- Roma 0-0 Inter Milan – Roma’s chances were plenty, but the finishing was lacking in the draw.
- Cagliari 3-0 Udinese – Breathing room and relief for the hosts, who get goals from three different players to move ahead of Udinese on goal differential and into the 14th spot.
- Genoa 2-0 Catania – Stefano Sturaro’s first Serie A goal moves Genoa even with Milan as it looks to jump into the top half, as Catania stays in serious relegation danger.
- Atalanta 2-1 Chievo – A face slap gave Bostjan Cesar a second yellow, but 10-man Chievo rallied to draw level before substitute Luca Cigarini found Atalanta’s winner in the 85th minute. The only thing keeping Chievo from the drop zone is goal differential.
- Sassuolo 0-1 Parma – Parma pulls to within one point of fifth-place Inter by holding off the basement dwellers on Marco Parolo’s goal.
- Verona 0-0 Bologna – The visitors’ earned point worth its weight in gold as they stay out of the drop zone, but they’ll rue not taking all three after Rafael saved Rolando Bianchi’s penalty kick.
- Torino 0-2 Sampdoria — Road win helps ease safety concerns for Sampdoria, who stuck in the seventh minute (Stefano Okaka) and the 79th (Manolo Gabbiadini).
- Livorno 1-1 Napoli — A point from this fixture is nice for Livorno, but they still sit in 18th place and have to thank a Pepe Reina own goal for leveling the match.
Oct 25, 2014, 7:02 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 9 live online or via the app.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
The midfielder is yet to make a Premier League start this season as rumors surfaced that he could return to Brazil on loan.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:33 PM EDT
Chicago ended their season with a win as Florent Sinama-Pongolle tallied in stoppage time to erase Houston’s first half lead.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
You can watch the match live on NBCSN or online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Neil Warnock could be answering to a new boss if American billionaire Josh Harris purchases Palace.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
Jose Carlos Rivero was charged with two felonies earlier this month but continued to work games for the MLS.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT
The New York Red Bulls made a young girl’s dream come true as she signed a one-day contract with her favorite team.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
Watch the Black Cats host the Gunners at 9:45 a.m. ET online via Live Extra.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
UEFA handed Serbia a 3-0 win but deducted points after their match against Albania was called off due to violence.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:43 PM EDT
The former England captain and Manchester United legend plans to retire after his season at QPR.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Watch as Leicester City travels to Liberty Stadium tomorrow live on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Pogba broke through with 9 goals and 10 assists across all competitions for Juventus last season and a goal and assist at the World Cup.
A coach tells a fan tells a ticket rep… How soccer fans and the Red Bulls created this adorable goal video
Oct 24, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
It’s a little dusty in here. Godspeed, Irelyn. May a cure be found in short order!
Oct 24, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
It’s going to be ugly and we’re going to shake our heads. Some will feign shock. And the whole cycle will repeat itself again at Barcelona.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Here’s how PST’s editor and lead writer sees things panning out this weekend.
Oct 24, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Perhaps a respite for Tim Howard and Brad Guzan, as their clubs face lesser competition this week in Burnley and QPR, respectively.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 9 of the PL.
Oct 24, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
It’s a top-four battle — no, seriously — as Manchester City rolls into Upton Park to take on Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Who makes the cut as MLS players deserving of a look at USMNT camp?
Oct 24, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
An all-MLS final appearance is impossible thanks to seeding, and Montreal and DC can only face-off if they win in the quarterfinals this winter.
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0
- Still defending racial incident, seething at bite talk, Suarez returns for Barcelona 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 9 1