Mar 2, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Juventus continues to roll through 2014, this time adding to AC Milan’s misery with 2-0 victory at San Siro. It’s the third time in four years that The Old Lady has won the annual match at Milan, and didn’t lack for entertainment.
Fernando Llorente made sure the score wouldn’t be level at half when he collected a ball from Stephan Lichtsteiner and deposited it in the 44th minute. It ended a half of back-and-forth, setting the stage for the second half.
Some injuries and cards clouded the start of the second half, but Carlos Tevez‘s 16th goal of the season doubled Juve’s advantage in the 68th minute and Milan would not recover. They’ve opened up a double-digit lead on the rest of the table.
As for Milan, they’ve allowed the bottom half of the table to become a distinct possibility. Genoa won to pull even on points with Milan, who are now three points behind Lazio. The Eagles took the air out of Fiorentina in a 1-0 match at Artemio Franchi.
Lazio’s Lorik Cana shocked the home side just five minutes in with a shot into the top left off a corner kick, and though Fiorentina did its best to level… it never came. Apart from Abdoulay Konko hitting the bar just before half, Viola controlled the half and attempted shots like they were going out of style.
The second half was more even, but the final 20 minutes were a series of almost for Fiorentina as they drove down the pitch. Former Manchester United midfielder Anderson was quite active, but for whatever reason Fiorentina refused to send simple crosses into the box, preferring to navigate into a cluttered Lazio box.
It didn’t work, and Fiorentina could not take advantage of draws from both Napoli and Roma above them. It’s looking more and more like a battle to stay in fourth rather than rise for Fiorentina… and it’s their own doing. Finish!
- Roma 0-0 Inter Milan – Roma’s chances were plenty, but the finishing was lacking in the draw.
- Cagliari 3-0 Udinese – Breathing room and relief for the hosts, who get goals from three different players to move ahead of Udinese on goal differential and into the 14th spot.
- Genoa 2-0 Catania – Stefano Sturaro’s first Serie A goal moves Genoa even with Milan as it looks to jump into the top half, as Catania stays in serious relegation danger.
- Atalanta 2-1 Chievo – A face slap gave Bostjan Cesar a second yellow, but 10-man Chievo rallied to draw level before substitute Luca Cigarini found Atalanta’s winner in the 85th minute. The only thing keeping Chievo from the drop zone is goal differential.
- Sassuolo 0-1 Parma – Parma pulls to within one point of fifth-place Inter by holding off the basement dwellers on Marco Parolo’s goal.
- Verona 0-0 Bologna – The visitors’ earned point worth its weight in gold as they stay out of the drop zone, but they’ll rue not taking all three after Rafael saved Rolando Bianchi’s penalty kick.
- Torino 0-2 Sampdoria — Road win helps ease safety concerns for Sampdoria, who stuck in the seventh minute (Stefano Okaka) and the 79th (Manolo Gabbiadini).
- Livorno 1-1 Napoli — A point from this fixture is nice for Livorno, but they still sit in 18th place and have to thank a Pepe Reina own goal for leveling the match.
Nov 1, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
The Russian Premier League manager made racial comments that could hardly be mistaken for acceptable jokes.
Nov 1, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Wenger talks about how Arsenal must turn draws into wins.
Nov 1, 2014, 8:20 AM EDT
Can Newcastle win three straight in the PL as Liverpool roll into town? Watch live, here.
Nov 1, 2014, 7:34 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 10 live online or via the app.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
Despite losing six of their first nine matches, Bayern Munich executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge believes Borussia Dortmund will turn around their play.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
The Ivorian striker has been sidelined for more than 12 months with a knee injury.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
The German international has only made three appearances off the bench for Real Madrid as rumors of a move to the Premier League continue to swirl.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:35 PM EDT
Some good news and some bad news for Gunners fans as Jack Wilshere has injured his knee while Olivier Giroud is “miles ahead of schedule” after ankle surgery.
Oct 31, 2014, 7:40 PM EDT
The Manchester United legend has called out the crosstown rivals, saying City has a “touch of arrogance.”
Oct 31, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
The young striker has seven goals in eleven appearances for Spurs, but is yet to earn a Premier League start this season.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
No, this is not a Halloween joke.
Oct 31, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Aston Villa have lost five straight matches and haven’t scored a goal since September 13th.
Oct 31, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
Watch the Blues host the R’s Saturday at 11 a.m. ET on NBCSN or online via Live Extra.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
Take a look at the rest of the fixtures ahead for Yanks in Europe by heading inside.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
New York Red Bulls, Columbus Crew, New England Revolution, FC Dallas, L.A. Galaxy, Seattle Sounders, Real Salt Lake or DC United: Who’s been better?
Oct 31, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
“This is the biggest derby that I shall manage,” the Manchester United boss told reporters on Friday.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
Onyewu has played at QPR, Malaga, Sporting CP, Twente, AC Milan, Newcastle, Standard Liege, La Louviere and Metz since he left Clemson.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
Where and how to watch every game during Week 10 of the PL.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
City and United tangle at 8am ET on NBCSN this Sunday, and the absence of Silva will be a bonus for Louis van Gaal’s Red Devils.
Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN
Oct 31, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Chelsea and QPR kick-off at 11am ET on NBCSN this Saturday.
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 10 0
- Paul Scholes says arrogance could hurt Manchester City 0
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0