Mar 2, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
There was a terrifying moment in Sunday’s version of the Athens derby between Olympiacos and Panathinaikos when a player collapsed to the pitch and had to be taken off via stretcher.
Olympiacos striker Michael Olaitan was making a run away from the play when he lost consciousness and collapsed to the ground. He was tended to for several minutes, eventually regaining consciousness before being taken to the hospital.
The BBC reports that Olaitan’s condition is listed as stable. He has played for the Nigeria U-20 team and featured for Olympiacos in the UEFA Champions League clash against Manchester United last week.
The match was scoreless when Olaitan collapsed, but Panathinaikos went on to collect three goals in a shutout win. Olympiacos remains atop the Greek Super League table by 20 points over second-place PAOK Salonika.
- Preview: Early cycle friendly shelves normal questions for U.S. national team’s return 1
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – The faith-destroying edition 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 6
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 1
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 14