Mar 2, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
There was a terrifying moment in Sunday’s version of the Athens derby between Olympiacos and Panathinaikos when a player collapsed to the pitch and had to be taken off via stretcher.
Olympiacos striker Michael Olaitan was making a run away from the play when he lost consciousness and collapsed to the ground. He was tended to for several minutes, eventually regaining consciousness before being taken to the hospital.
The BBC reports that Olaitan’s condition is listed as stable. He has played for the Nigeria U-20 team and featured for Olympiacos in the UEFA Champions League clash against Manchester United last week.
The match was scoreless when Olaitan collapsed, but Panathinaikos went on to collect three goals in a shutout win. Olympiacos remains atop the Greek Super League table by 20 points over second-place PAOK Salonika.
- VIDEO: Premier League 2014-15 review – Top 10 games of the season 2
- By the numbers: 2014-15 Premier League season in review 0
- Sepp Blatter transcript in full; admits “shame and humiliation” of FIFA scandal 3
- UEFA could leave FIFA if Blatter stays on, as support for Prince Ali grows 20
- Sepp Blatter refuses to quit as FIFA president despite plea from UEFA’s Michel Platini 8
- Russia, Vladimir Putin criticize US government for “illegal persecution” of FIFA 18