Mar 2, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
There was a terrifying moment in Sunday’s version of the Athens derby between Olympiacos and Panathinaikos when a player collapsed to the pitch and had to be taken off via stretcher.
Olympiacos striker Michael Olaitan was making a run away from the play when he lost consciousness and collapsed to the ground. He was tended to for several minutes, eventually regaining consciousness before being taken to the hospital.
The BBC reports that Olaitan’s condition is listed as stable. He has played for the Nigeria U-20 team and featured for Olympiacos in the UEFA Champions League clash against Manchester United last week.
The match was scoreless when Olaitan collapsed, but Panathinaikos went on to collect three goals in a shutout win. Olympiacos remains atop the Greek Super League table by 20 points over second-place PAOK Salonika.
- Paul Scholes says arrogance could hurt Manchester City 0
- MLS playoffs weekend preview: Which remaining team has the best form? 0
- Van Gaal: Manchester Derby is “biggest” he’ll manage; Rooney in, Falcao out 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 4
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 1