Mar 2, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
It was another match day to remember in Spain, as two La Liga giants battled to a thrilling Madrid derby draw that enabled Barcelona to leap back into second place.
In a match that saw 26 shots, one of the first went into the goal as Karim Benzema scored for Real Madrid in the third minute and threatened to make the affair more business as usual. Atletico won on the road when the two clubs matched up in September but Real countered two Copa Del Ray wins that added up to a 5-0 final score.
But the home club countered with style, adding goals from Koke and Gabi Fernandez before the end of the first half and unwittingly setting the stage for the heroics of a player you may have heard of: Cristiano Ronaldo, who latched onto a loose ball and equalized in the 82nd minute.
The 2-2 draw maintained Real Madrid’s three-point lead over Atletico and opened the door for Barcelona to climb to within a point of the table leaders, which they did with a stylish 4-1 win over Almeria.
Nearly 59,000 were at Camp Nou to watch Barca jump out to a 2-0 lead on goals by Alexis Sanchez and Lionel Messi, the latter of whom nearly added an acrobatic header that shot wide of the goal. Angel Trujillo struck for Almeria about three minutes after the Messi goal, as the Blaugrana appeared a bit sloppy after building the early lead.
It was the man rumored for NYCFC in 2015 that gave Barca a two-goal cushion in the 83rd minute, as Carles Puyol finished a headed Messi rebound that hit the bar. Xavi made it four in the 89th minute.
Aside from the obvious advantage Real Madrid has — a one-point lead on Barca and three on Atletico — Barcelona has the added difficulty of having to face both clubs in the race, while Real and Atletico are done with the derby for the season.
- Bilbao 4-0 Granada – Friday night saw Bilbao stay on track for Champions League soccer thanks to an Aritz Aduriz hat trick, while Granada sits 15th.
- Malaga 1-1 Valladolid – Roque Santa Cruz’s early goal was enough to keep the hosts from giving up full points in this relegation six-pointer, while Daniel Larsson was the equalizing hero for the visitors.
- Levante 2-0 Osasuna – Early tallies from Papakouli Diop and Ruben Garcia give the hosts a comfortable lead before a 61st minute red card to Victor Casadesus livened things up. Levante sits eighth, with Osasuna in 12th.
- Getafe 0-0 Espanyol – Getafe now four points ahead of the drop zone, while Espanyol’s dreams of the Europa League seem less realistic.
- Elche 1-0 Celta Vigo – 21-year-old Carles Gil plays the hero for the home team, as the visitors are now just one point ahead of No. 13 Elche after the loss.
- Vallecano 1-0 Valencia – Joaquin Larrivey scored the winner about a half-hour from the finish to provide a huge upset for the home team, who can now see safety from its tie for 18th place.
- Sevilla 1-0 Real Sociedad — Long-rumored for England, Kevin Gameiro played the hero off the bench for Sevilla with a second-half strike, as the home side pulls to within five of the visitors.
- Villarreal 1-1 Real Betis — The home team lost its lead after a red card to Uche Ikechuwku open the door for heroics from Ruben Castro, who headed Betis into just its third point on the road this season. They are still 11 points away from sniffing safety.
Aug 23, 2014, 1:22 PM EDT
Gunners defend sloppily and Everton take full advantage. Watch the 2nd half live, here.
Aug 23, 2014, 12:54 PM EDT
Dyche: “We knew this would be a challenge, a difficult one, and we are enjoying the way the team are operating, but we need to get points on the board.”
Aug 23, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
Karim Bellarabi nutmegged Matthias Ginter and put Bayer Leverkusen into the record books nine seconds into the match at Dortmund.
Aug 23, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
Toffees and Gunners clash at Goodison as top four hopefuls collide. Watch live, here.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:57 AM EDT
Dyer’s solo strike the difference as brave Burnley fall at the Liberty.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Three different Hammers netted for Sam Allardyce as West Ham rebounded from a loss to Spurs to win a London derby at Palace.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Saints, Baggies fail to score in closely fought encounter on the South Coast.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
The Foxes were game, but Chelsea’s class shone through by the time 90 minutes were in the books.
Aug 23, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
The Newcastle boss went above and beyond the call of duty, putting on clown shoes for a moment on the sidelines.
Aug 23, 2014, 10:55 AM EDT
Four games on the go, but goals are scarce. Watch them all live, here.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
American goalkeeper Brad Guzan helped Aston Villa stay unbeaten by keeping Newcastle at bay in a scoreless draw at Villa Park.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT
West Ham’s second London derby in as many weeks provides a chance at win No. 1.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:27 AM EDT
Can the Swans sweep aside new boys Burnley? Watch live, right here.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:17 AM EDT
Both teams go in search of their first victory of the season. Watch live, here.
Aug 23, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
Will Leicester surprise another Premier League power, or will Chelsea look just as strong as they did in Monday’s dismantling of Burnley?
Aug 23, 2014, 8:45 AM EDT
The Scot has apologized, but fresh allegations claim that Mackay used an offensive Asian slur to describe Cardiff owner Vincent Tan.
Aug 23, 2014, 8:32 AM EDT
There are no casualties among the stadium staff in a scary incident at Donbass Arena.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:10 AM EDT
Aston Villa and Newcastle United’s starting lineups are unchanged from opening weekend, and the most notable change is on the Magpies bench.
Aug 23, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
How and where to watch every single PL game live online or via the app.
Aug 23, 2014, 2:52 AM EDT
April’s 3-0 loss at Goodison was the low point of Arsenal’s 2013-14 season.
- Watch Live: Everton vs. Arsenal (Lineups) 0
- Chelsea 2-0 Leicester City: Costa scores again, Hazard ensures win 1
- Aston Villa 0-0 Newcastle: Guzan saves a point as Villa moves top 0
- ‘Powerful explosions’ rock Shakhtar Donetsk’s home stadium in Ukraine 2
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 2 0
- MLS Snapshot: FC Dallas 2-1 Real Salt Lake 0