Mar 3, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
The Stoke man was part of his team’s 1-0 defeat of the Gunners, and the foul was not seen during the game. Video has surfaced of the incident, however, which has the FA looking into the matter.
Stoke released a statement of surprise:
“Charlie and the club are surprised and disappointed to learn of this and will appeal vigorously against the decision.”
There’s a Zapruder-like film making its way around the Internet that would not seem to favor any claims of innocence. Perhaps worse: it may be the second most egregious stamp a Stoke player put on Giroud during the match, as Glenn Whelan put his foot squarely on a down Giroud’s leg.
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Liverpool win late; Real Madrid, Dortmund victorious 0
- Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Arsenal: Gunners outclassed by BVB 2
- Liverpool 2-1 Ludogorets: Gerrard grabs last-gasp winner after scare 0
- Premier League player of month on pace for 67 goals (video) 0
- Open Cup final preview: Is a championship coming to Philly tonight? 0
- Arsenal’s defending depth fears could be on display against Dortmund 5