Mar 3, 2014, 5:17 PM EDT
It’s “Jersey Week” for the folks at MLSSoccer.com, and obviously league supporters worldwide wide, so we thought we’d catch you up on some of the new looks (and what fun would it be without handing out analysis?).
Nothing too out of the ordinary here, but the details are nice. I like the red and white stripes on the upper back and I’m a sucker for mottos and other words “hidden” near the collar (“Tradition” in this case). The black-on-black eagle for the lower jersey is a neat touch as well.
I’m all-aboard for the two-tone blue kit and appreciate the “fault line” pattern (That’s what I’m calling it, even if it’s not the case. Not specifically wild about the red shirt, as it just seems a bit “done,” but simple is better than going nutty. Plus what the above photo barely show is a nice blue stripe coming down the back of the ribcage.
While the striped diagonal stripe feels a little busy to me — thanks in large part to the adidas stripes on the shoulders, I don’t mind the changing of the color. To be fair, I’m not a huge guy for the diagonal stripe anyway. The road blues are sharp and the third kit is what third kits should be: a calculated risk. Will they go over well with the fan base? Don’t know, but it’s not garish or awful. Two words for teams who come out with something awful: test groups. I bet the Galaxy used at least one.
Simple enough… until you get to the socks. I’m not quite ready to embrace the odd striping patterns on the legs. It’s easy to dig the Texas flag on the lower front, sitting “below” the American flag on the sleeve.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0