Mar 3, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
The incident occurred in the 72nd minute of Newcastle’s 4-1 victory over Hull City when the ball was kicked out of bounds and Meyler went to retrieve it. With Pardew standing in the sideline manager box, Meyler swooped past Pardew nudging him out of the way. Pardew responded by getting in Meyler’s face and, as he tactfully put it later, “pushed him away with my head.” Referee Kevin Friend immediately sent Pardew to the stands.
Newcastle were quick to impose a $167,000 fine on Pardew late Saturday night and on Monday, the FA made note of their intent to impose further punishment:
“Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew has been charged in relation to an incident in his side’s game against Hull City on 1 March 2014.
“It is alleged that in the 72nd minute of the fixture, Pardew was involved in an incident with a Hull City player that amounted to improper conduct.
“Due to the serious violent and/or aggressive nature of the reported behaviour this case has been designated as non-standard.
“Pardew has until 6pm on Thursday 6 March 2014 to respond to the charge.”
No criminal charges have been filed against Pardew as neither Meyler nor Hull have issued a formal complaint. And despite former Magpies’ boss Graeme Sounness calling Pardew’s actions “a sackable offense,” Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has stated he will not fire Pardew for the incident.
The issue now becomes — what is the proper punishment for Pardew’s actions? Pro Soccer Talk’s Nicholas Mendola penned a great piece looking into that issue and reviewing previous FA bans handed out to Eric Cantona, Nicholas Anelka, Luis Suarez, Joey Barton and Paulo Di Canio.
- WATCH: Alan Pardew sent off for headbutt on Hull’s Meyler, as Newcastle manager loses the plot
- Hull City 1-4 Newcastle United: Magpies win shrouded in controversy as Pardew sees red
- “Disappointed” Newcastle United fines manager Alan Pardew $167,000 in wake of Saturday headbutt
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 0
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2