Mar 3, 2014, 3:05 PM EST
We were all hoping Stuart Holden’s latest comeback for Bolton Wanderers would be a successful one that could potentially see him make a late charge for the U.S. national team squad at this summer’s World Cup.
Now the U.S. soccer community waits with bated breath to find out if that still has a chance of happening.
According to Bolton’s official Twitter feed, Holden broke down after just 22 minutes of his comeback match for Bolton’s U-21 side against Everton on Monday night.
The former Houston Dynamo midfielder was playing in his first game since tearing his ACL in his right knee during the USA’s 1-0 CONCACAF Gold Cup final win over Panama back in July. On Monday Bolton announced that after the American midfielder had initially clutched his right knee, his night was over. “Holden is down on the turf again after reaching for a loose ball. Doesn’t look good,” Bolton tweeted.
Updates since the initial injury occurred seem promising, as the Championship club revealed that 28-year-old Holden was able to walk down the tunnel without any help.
However if this injury is another setback for Holden, it will be a damaging blow in his late bid to make Jurgen Klinsmann’s World Cup squad. His string of serious injuries date back to 2010 when he horrifically broke his leg while playing for the USA against the Netherlands but Holden still managed to make one appearance at the 2010 World Cup vs. England. However he then injured his left knee against Manchester United in a tackle with Jonny Evans in March 2011 which kept him out for over a year. Holden has had nothing but bad luck with his fitness since.
Despite all of that, the energetic midfielder has stayed in and around the USMNT picture and trained with the squad as a guest player during the January camp in California earlier this year.
Here’s the latest from Bolton, with more details to trickle through from Lancashire soon.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:59 PM EST
As the soccer world will no longer see the maverick skills of the Argentine playmaker, here’s a look at some of his best moments.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:38 PM EST
Here’s the draw for the last 16 of the FA Cup, as PL big boys get more tough tests.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EST
Van Praag announces his intentions to run against Blatter, says he has the backing of five federations.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Betting on five underdogs away from home in the FA Cup will win you serious cash.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:32 PM EST
Fagundez explains why he couldn’t wait any longer to select his national team.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
If Wolfsburg can agree a fee for Schurrle, should he leave Stamford Bridge?
Jan 26, 2015, 11:26 AM EST
Carver will take charge for the final 16 games of the season… but what then?
Jan 26, 2015, 9:55 AM EST
Red Bulls attacker heading to Abu Dhabi?
Jan 26, 2015, 9:20 AM EST
The signing of two Venezuelan youngsters could put Real in plenty of trouble with FIFA, as Barcelona-esque transfer ban could be on the cards.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:34 AM EST
The Koreans will face either Australia or the UAE in Saturday’s final in Sydney.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
All the latest gossip, right here.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST
“I am concerned, not because of Chelsea but because we didn’t score in our last two home games,” Pellegrini said.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
The 33-year-old Cameroonian striker joins a Sampdoria side currently tied for third in the table with 34 points.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:13 PM EST
“If he’s not ready for Tuesday then he’ll be back, for sure, against West Ham next weekend,” Rodgers said.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:22 PM EST
Maloney turned 32 on Saturday and will be unveiled by Chicago on Monday.
Jan 25, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
Sepp Blatter: Kind of like “The Godfather”. But let’s be clear, we’re talking “The Godfather: Part III”.
Jan 25, 2015, 7:40 PM EST
What else is cooking? Glad you asked.
Jan 25, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
There’s a new top-four team in Spain, while little has changed in Italy, both for good and bad.
Jan 25, 2015, 4:28 PM EST
Two of eight quarterfinals places were clinched on Sunday as the late drama continues at AFCON 2015.
Jan 25, 2015, 2:59 PM EST
A work permit still must be obtained, but Arsenal is on the cusp of securing some defensive depth.
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 0
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 2
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 4