Mar 3, 2014, 8:40 AM EDT
Few players do free-kicks better than Lionel Messi and yesterday he proved it yet again with a stunning left-footed curler into the top corner to help Barcelona defeat Almeria 4-1.
The swerving bullet came in the 24th minute, cleared the jumping wall, dinked the upper corner of the goal and left goalkeeper Esteban treading air. The moment sent the Camp Nou into a frenzy but thankfully more than a few fans were able to hold their edge while keeping their cell phone video rolling.
With the three points in hand Barcelona sit 2nd in the La Liga table, one point adrift of leaders Real Madrid.
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 3
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0
- Liverpool complete $20 million signing of Nathaniel Clyne from Southampton 1
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup roundup: Union, Orlando, Chicago move on as Charlotte bounced 2
- With the World Cup on the line, the USWNT gave us a vintage performance to savor 1
- United States defeats Germany, advances to Women’s World Cup final 18