Mar 4, 2014, 7:28 AM EST
Mertesacker, 29, has played 90 minutes in all but two Premier League matches this year and has been one of the league’s most effective backs. He’s played a role in 12 clean sheets for the Gunners this PL season, two off his 2012/13 pace.
The 33-year-old Rosicky has made 18 appearances in the Premier League this season, scoring his first goal in a 4-1 win over Sunderland on Feb. 22. He’s played in six UEFA Champions League matches this season and added a goal in an FA Cup match. Before the announcement, reports said the Czech international’s new deal would be a one-year contract.
“We are delighted that Mertesacker and Rosicky have committed their futures to the Club,” said Arsène Wenger in a club statement. “They are players of exceptional quality and experience, and have consistently proven themselves at the highest level. There is a great feeling of togetherness and belief in the group and this news will only help to strengthen this further.”
Mertersacker took to Twitter to celebrate the news with an old photo of the Big German in an Arsenal shirt as a child.
— Per Mertesacker (@mertesacker) March 4, 2014
- Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1
- Jose Mourinho to Schalke after Chelsea’s 5-0 win: “It’s not your fault” 0
- Bob Bradley’s talks with a Swedish club have broken down; Staying at Stabaek? 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Chelsea win group, Man City’s late show, classy PSG 0