Mar 4, 2014, 7:28 AM EDT
Mertesacker, 29, has played 90 minutes in all but two Premier League matches this year and has been one of the league’s most effective backs. He’s played a role in 12 clean sheets for the Gunners this PL season, two off his 2012/13 pace.
The 33-year-old Rosicky has made 18 appearances in the Premier League this season, scoring his first goal in a 4-1 win over Sunderland on Feb. 22. He’s played in six UEFA Champions League matches this season and added a goal in an FA Cup match. Before the announcement, reports said the Czech international’s new deal would be a one-year contract.
“We are delighted that Mertesacker and Rosicky have committed their futures to the Club,” said Arsène Wenger in a club statement. “They are players of exceptional quality and experience, and have consistently proven themselves at the highest level. There is a great feeling of togetherness and belief in the group and this news will only help to strengthen this further.”
Mertersacker took to Twitter to celebrate the news with an old photo of the Big German in an Arsenal shirt as a child.
— Per Mertesacker (@mertesacker) March 4, 2014
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Whole New World Edition 0
- Samuel Eto’o signs two-year deal with Everton 0
- League Cup Roundup: Manchester United embarrassed by Milton Keynes, 4-0 8
- Landon Donovan will get U.S. farewell, to be called up to face Ecuador 7
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: New York’s Thierry Henry 2
- Jermaine Jones unveiled in New England, quips that “I like to win” 0