Mar 4, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
He’s received credit for helping English sports teams win in cycling, snooker and soccer… and now he’s being brought about Roy Hodgson’s 2014 World Cup staff to help Three Lions reach their peak.
“He has helped me a lot from a personal point of view,” said Gerrard. “He helped me with a groin problem in 2010, when I feared for my career.
“I saw him in a one-on-one situation and I liked his work and continued to see him. I feel he can help the players if the players buy into what he is trying to do.”
From a BBC breakout box entitled “Who is Steve Peters?”
- Holds degrees in mathematics, medicine and medical education (Masters level). He also postgraduate qualifications in Sports medicine, education and psychiatry.
- His book, ‘The Chimp Paradox’, explains how the human mind operates and how any individual can learn skills to manage their mind.
- Sports stars he has worked with include Ronnie O’Sullivan, Craig Bellamy, Sir Bradley Wiggins, Sir Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton.
- Teams he has assisted include the Great Britain Olympic cycling team, Team Sky, England’s rugby union side and Liverpool FC.
- Hoy said that “without Steve I don’t think I could have brought home triple gold from Beijing” while Pendleton said he was “the most important person” in her career.
Well, he wrote “The Chimp Paradox,” so it’s obviously a one-way ticket to Gold Trophy City for England.
Jokes aside, sports psychologists are nothing new in helping athletes achieve their best. I can remember from my work covering the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League that star goaltender Ryan Miller credited one for taking his game to the next level.
There’s no harm in bringing in a brilliant man who knows the human brain to aid in a team’s growth ahead of a major event, but you have to laugh when you realize the world of sports we live dictates a headline such as the one on this post.
Apr 21, 2015, 2:33 PM EDT
Manchester United spent the most money in the Premier League, while Tottenham made the most.
FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto
Apr 21, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
Two UCL quarterfinals will take place on Tuesday. Follow them both live, right here.
Wolfsburg, already down 4-1, will be without De Bruyne and Schurrle for Europa League 2nd leg vs Napoli
Apr 21, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
As they look to mount a dream comeback on the road, the Bundesliga club will be without two of its best attackers.
Apr 21, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has dubbed him the “new Messi” in an attempt to boost his value.
Apr 21, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT
With the most goals of any defender in the Premier League, Chris Smalling has emerged as a solid member of Louis van Gaal’s lineup at Old Trafford.
Apr 21, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Manager Neil Redfearn is dealing with countless off the field issues, while the club’s legal team now has a new task with problems piling up.
Apr 21, 2015, 9:12 AM EDT
A player whose departure many thought was a foregone conclusion appears to be reconsidering.
Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
NBCSports.com’s Managing Editor Randy Kim spoke with Der Kaiser, as the German legend visited NYC.
Apr 21, 2015, 7:42 AM EDT
Gareth Bale, Luka Modric, and Marcelo are all already out for tomorrow’s 2nd leg with Atletico Madrid, and now their striker is unavailable as well.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT
Mourinho says Chelsea will look to the club’s stacked youth academy for reinforcements, as well as the transfer market.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:44 PM EDT
Liverpool’s captain-in-waiting is reportedly set to sign a new long-term deal at Anfield.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
PSG and Bayern Munich did themselves no favors in the first leg, but it’s still 90 minutes from over.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:16 PM EDT
In FIFA and Qatar’s latest installment of “No, We’re Not Joking, We’re Serious”…
Apr 20, 2015, 5:27 PM EDT
Steve Cherundolo got a promotion on Monday, under less than desirable circumstances, but he’s still advancing in the coaching world rather quickly.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
He’ll be an MLS MVP one day, but for now Fabian Castillo will have to settle for MLS Player of the Week.
Apr 20, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Week 7 was chock full of goals — some really great ones, in fact — making this week’s Team of the Week tough to pick.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
With five weeks to go, in-form sides are surging up our rankings of power.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Listen to the latest MiB pod, right here.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
The Blues are inching towards the 2014-15 title but many are unimpressed with their defensive displays. Let’s sit down and think about this.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:18 PM EDT
If the Gunners win the FA Cup next month it could well book Spurs a place in the Europa League. Seriously.
- FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto 0
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0
- Franz Beckenbauer: Der Kaiser weighs in on Klopp, Dante and Bayern’s CL hopes 0
- UEFA Champions League preview: Can PSG, Bayern come back from 3-1 down to Barcelona, Porto? 0
- MLS Team of the Week — Stars of Week 7 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Big climbers galore as momentum kicks in 1