Mar 4, 2014, 1:46 PM EDT
He’s received credit for helping English sports teams win in cycling, snooker and soccer… and now he’s being brought about Roy Hodgson’s 2014 World Cup staff to help Three Lions reach their peak.
“He has helped me a lot from a personal point of view,” said Gerrard. “He helped me with a groin problem in 2010, when I feared for my career.
“I saw him in a one-on-one situation and I liked his work and continued to see him. I feel he can help the players if the players buy into what he is trying to do.”
From a BBC breakout box entitled “Who is Steve Peters?”
- Holds degrees in mathematics, medicine and medical education (Masters level). He also postgraduate qualifications in Sports medicine, education and psychiatry.
- His book, ‘The Chimp Paradox’, explains how the human mind operates and how any individual can learn skills to manage their mind.
- Sports stars he has worked with include Ronnie O’Sullivan, Craig Bellamy, Sir Bradley Wiggins, Sir Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton.
- Teams he has assisted include the Great Britain Olympic cycling team, Team Sky, England’s rugby union side and Liverpool FC.
- Hoy said that “without Steve I don’t think I could have brought home triple gold from Beijing” while Pendleton said he was “the most important person” in her career.
Well, he wrote “The Chimp Paradox,” so it’s obviously a one-way ticket to Gold Trophy City for England.
Jokes aside, sports psychologists are nothing new in helping athletes achieve their best. I can remember from my work covering the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League that star goaltender Ryan Miller credited one for taking his game to the next level.
There’s no harm in bringing in a brilliant man who knows the human brain to aid in a team’s growth ahead of a major event, but you have to laugh when you realize the world of sports we live dictates a headline such as the one on this post.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:10 PM EDT
“On behalf of the club, I would like to apologise to the QPR supporters for the embarrassment this has caused,” Fernandes wrote.
Oct 21, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
Who scored the best goal in Tuesday’s Champions League action?
Oct 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Oct 21, 2014, 8:15 PM EDT
One hopes Agudelo’s story will resonate with Jurgen Klinsmann.
Oct 21, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
“It might be something I regret down the line for not challenging myself,” said Gerrard.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
The players will shell out over $90,000 to cover the cost of the traveling fans.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
40 goals were scored in eight games on Tuesday, as Groups E-H exploded into life.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
A sensational ending to a sensational performance by Hazard and Chelsea as a whole.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:35 PM EDT
When Bayern Munich are firing on all cylinders, they are scary, scary sight.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:49 PM EDT
Unlucky for Maribor. Comfortable for Chelsea.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:42 PM EDT
Groups E-H are in action on Wednesday in Europe as eight games take place, and there are some gaudy score lines after just 45 minutes.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
It’s an absolute shellacking going into half-time with Bayern giving a masterclass display in Roma.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s the right move for Philly, especially given the man management shown by Curtin.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Pellegrini defiant despite City blowing a 2-0 lead in Moscow.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
Missing Koscielny is a far bigger blow than having to start a 22-year-old, though.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
City chuck away 2-0 lead in Russian capital, as UCL hopes hang in the balance.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
We’re going to have to have a talk about the presupposed power of the superior West at some point soon.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
City storming towards their first UCL win of the season in snowy Moscow.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:40 AM EDT
Is it enough to tip the scales for Liverpool, or will one of Real’s bevy of offensive stars step in to help stop the Reds’ European hopes?
Oct 21, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
A final week La Liga match in 2011 has been under investigation for a while, and now former Real Zaragoza player Herrera is under scrutiny.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1