Mar 4, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
Arsenal locked up a pair of elder statesmen earlier today with new contracts for Per Mertesacker and Tomas Rosicky, and it seems they were just getting started.
According to reports, the Gunners are set to sign Welsh international Aaron Ramsey to an improved five-year deal. How improved? He’s set to become Arsenal’s second-highest-paid player on wages of nearly $167,000 a week (Mesut Ozil makes the most).
From the Guardian:
It is understood that negotiations have been taking place between Ramsey’s agent, David Baldwin, and Arsenal for the last month, and the club are set to announce confirmation of the new contract in the next 48 hours.
The 23-year-old has 10 goals and seven assists across 22 appearances in all competitions this season, by far his most productive as a professional. He also scored twice in four World Cup qualifiers for Wales.
The Guardian says Ramsey has returned to full training for Arsenal, as he has not appeared since suffering a thigh injury in a Boxing Day match against West Ham.
- MLS Snapshot: Sporting KC 1-1 Philadelphia Union 0
- Reports: Geoff Cameron, seeking CB time, draws heavy Premier League interest 0
- Learn the chants for every Premier League team! 4
- Updated team-by-team list of Premier League transfers this summer 3
- US U23 list for Bahamas camp unveiled as Olympic prep continues 0
- New York City FC could be a proving ground for Man City youth 6