Mar 4, 2014, 2:52 PM EDT
Arsenal locked up a pair of elder statesmen earlier today with new contracts for Per Mertesacker and Tomas Rosicky, and it seems they were just getting started.
According to reports, the Gunners are set to sign Welsh international Aaron Ramsey to an improved five-year deal. How improved? He’s set to become Arsenal’s second-highest-paid player on wages of nearly $167,000 a week (Mesut Ozil makes the most).
From the Guardian:
It is understood that negotiations have been taking place between Ramsey’s agent, David Baldwin, and Arsenal for the last month, and the club are set to announce confirmation of the new contract in the next 48 hours.
The 23-year-old has 10 goals and seven assists across 22 appearances in all competitions this season, by far his most productive as a professional. He also scored twice in four World Cup qualifiers for Wales.
The Guardian says Ramsey has returned to full training for Arsenal, as he has not appeared since suffering a thigh injury in a Boxing Day match against West Ham.
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 2
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 2