Mar 4, 2014, 7:51 AM EST
Real Madrid midfielder Xabi Alonso has admitted he’s considered moving to Major League Soccer when his time at the Bernabeu is over, according to multiple reports.
The Spanish international and former Liverpool turns 33 in November, and said a return his former club Real Sociedad is another option for him when his current contract runs out in 2016.
Alonso has appeared in 20 matches across all competitions for Madrid this year and also played in eight matches for Spain.
“Moving to the USA? I don’t reject that in the future,” he told France Football.
“We will see how I feel in two years’ time. I don’t discount anything – Europe, Real Sociedad or staying longer at Real Madrid if I notice that I still have the physical abilities.”
When a player is under contract and issues quotes like the above, it usually makes me wonder whether a club could get him earlier with an audacious bid. Can you imagine the immediate boost for a club like Chicago or DC should Alonso be up for the move?
Meanwhile, supporters of Liverpool will take note of Alonso’s comparing his current club to his old squad. A UEFA Champions League winner with Liverpool in 2005, Alonso said he could not turn down the idea of a switch to Real Madrid when it came up in 2009.
“Everyday life in Madrid is tougher than in any other team. What the club demands is win, win and win again, and play well too.
“Liverpool have five European trophies, but it is not the same. There the daily life is more relaxed and not so heavy. At Real, pressure and demand are constant.
“But I wanted to see if I could match such a challenge.”
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 3
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Trafford 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance 0
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 1
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 1