Mar 5, 2014, 7:32 AM EDT
Inter Milan announced Wednesday that it has signed Manchester United center-back Nemanja Vidic, who will make his move to the Serie A club this summer.
Inter president Erick Thohir confirmed the deal via the club’s website: “Vidic is a world-class player. I’m extremely happy to have completed this deal to bring Nemanja to Milan.
“He’s one of the world’s best defenders and his qualities, international pedigree and charisma will be an asset to the team and help bring through our younger players.
“He will bring added value to the club and is another piece of the great Inter side we are building.
“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Manchester United, Nemanja and his entourage for the professional and co-operative approach they have shown throughout the negotiations.”
Vidic announced last month that he’d be leaving Old Trafford at the end of the season with a number of suitors interested including Juventus, Monaco and Galatasaray. But on February 20th Inter emerged as the most likely destination for Vidic when Thohir told La Gazzetta dello Sport that a deal for the Serbian international was “90% done.”
Vidic arrived at Old Trafford from Spartak Moscow in January 2006 on a $13.4 million transfer fee. Over the last eight-and-a-half years Vidic has gone on to make 204 Premier League appearances, scoring 15 goals and forming one of the most potent center-back partnerships of the 21st century alongside Rio Ferdinand.
Vidic recently issued a statement on United’s official website explaining that he would be moving on this summer but that he was not considering any clubs in England as “the only club I ever wanted to play for here is Manchester United.”
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan 0
- What tomorrow’s goalkeeper platoon tells us about the U.S. goalkeeper void 3
- Jozy Altidore to captain U.S. Wednesday against Czech Republic 0
- With Radamel Falcao, can Manchester United challenge for the Premier League? 10
- Why Danny Welbeck’s move to Arsenal was the best Deadline Day deal 7
- EXCLUSIVE: Fresh off his club debut, young Emerson Hyndman takes his USMNT chance in stride 0