Mar 5, 2014, 7:32 AM EDT
Inter Milan announced Wednesday that it has signed Manchester United center-back Nemanja Vidic, who will make his move to the Serie A club this summer.
Inter president Erick Thohir confirmed the deal via the club’s website: “Vidic is a world-class player. I’m extremely happy to have completed this deal to bring Nemanja to Milan.
“He’s one of the world’s best defenders and his qualities, international pedigree and charisma will be an asset to the team and help bring through our younger players.
“He will bring added value to the club and is another piece of the great Inter side we are building.
“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank Manchester United, Nemanja and his entourage for the professional and co-operative approach they have shown throughout the negotiations.”
Vidic announced last month that he’d be leaving Old Trafford at the end of the season with a number of suitors interested including Juventus, Monaco and Galatasaray. But on February 20th Inter emerged as the most likely destination for Vidic when Thohir told La Gazzetta dello Sport that a deal for the Serbian international was “90% done.”
Vidic arrived at Old Trafford from Spartak Moscow in January 2006 on a $13.4 million transfer fee. Over the last eight-and-a-half years Vidic has gone on to make 204 Premier League appearances, scoring 15 goals and forming one of the most potent center-back partnerships of the 21st century alongside Rio Ferdinand.
Vidic recently issued a statement on United’s official website explaining that he would be moving on this summer but that he was not considering any clubs in England as “the only club I ever wanted to play for here is Manchester United.”
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3
- Big Spenders: Which Premier League clubs must go all-in on transfer deadline day? 2
- Done Deals: Recapping Man United (and others’) busy day — De Gea drama; Chicharito out; $56 million for Martial 0
- NO DEAL: David de Gea’s transfer to Real Madrid falls through as Man United paperwork arrives too late 7