Mar 5, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has admitted in a recent interview with FourFourTwo magazine that in the unlikely event the Reds miss out on Champions League play next season, he wants to stay at Anfield.
Asked whether he’d stay at the club even if they missed out on Champions League Suarez responded: “I think so,” he said. “I signed my new contract because I’m very happy here and I want to stay where I’m enjoying football and life. Playing in the Champions League isn’t dependent on that.”
The soundbite serves as further confirmation of Suarez’ intent to stay at Liverpool after signing a new long term contract last December. Despite that deal a few pundits still questioned what Suarez’ fate would be if Liverpool were not to qualify for Champions League this spring.
Those fears arose after last summer’s drama when Suarez announced his desire to leave Liverpool for a club playing in the Champions League. Arsenal came through with two offers for the striker that Liverpool promptly rejected, announcing that the Uruguayan hitman would not be sold. A wise decision, to say the least.
With but 10 weeks remaining in the Premier League season, Liverpool sit in prime position (2nd in the table, four points adrift of leaders, Chelsea) to qualify for Champions League. And with a favorable end of the season schedule and a fit squad currently in top form, there’s little to suggest the Reds will fall short of a Top 4 finish.
“It would be a frustration not to get fourth because we’ve done everything possible and given our maximum to qualify,” Suarez said. With 24 Premier League goals to his name so far this season, Suarez claimed he’d gladly exchange the Golden Boot for a place in next year’s Champions League.
A noble offer for sure but one that at this point seems far from necessary.
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 2
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 10