Javier Hernandez on his way out of Manchester United?

Mar 6, 2014, 7:37 AM EST

Hernandez of Mexico reacts after missing a chance to score against Costa Rica during their 2014 World Cup qualifying soccer match in Mexico City Reuters

Following Mexico’s 0-0 friendly draw against Nigeria in Atlanta on Wednesday, El Tri striker Javier Hernandez cut a frustrated figure as he left the field at half time with a knee injury.

Struggling for game time with Manchester United this season, “Chicharito” has started just 10 of United’s 41 games this campaign, injuries like this are going to happen as the Mexican international is used sparingly but the Premier League outfit.

Asked about his lack of minutes with the Red Devils and the chance to play for Mexico, this is what he had to say to reporters after the game.

“I’m very eager to play as my club don’t take me much into account. I hope I have the opportunity to play [for Mexico],” Hernandez said. “When you are called up, you have to be thankful and if not called up, you have to keep working. I’m very happy and thankful with this call-up, like I was when I was called up for the first time.”

With the first part of that comment, Hernandez’s frustration seems to be seeping through as he spends more time on the bench for Man United.

In previous United team’s, he was perhaps happier to be the back up and provide goals off the bench when needed. But he also started plenty of games in previous seasons under Sir Alex Ferguson. Last season he scored 18 goals in 36 games, but with United struggling this campaign and new players such as Juan Mata arriving and the emergence of Adnan Januzaj, Hernandez continues to find himself further in the periphery.

Tottenham, Inter Milan and Juventus are sniffing around Chicharito and at the age of 25, he needs to be playing regularly to try and fulfill his huge potential. A transfer deal worth $23 million could see him leave Old Trafford, which would be good for the player, Mexico and whoever buys him.

One of the Premier League’s most lethal finishers needs to be playing, Hernandez needs a move.

1. crivasldnont - Mar 6, 2014 at 8:55 AM

We are surprised he didn’t leave during the winter transfer window. We’ll see what summer brings.

2. midtec2005 - Mar 6, 2014 at 8:55 AM

MLS loan move? Lets get the rumor mill going!

• lunasceiling - Mar 6, 2014 at 10:57 AM

If he’s going to stay on at ManU and try to fight his way into the manager’s* good graces, a summer loan would be a pretty good idea. Even with the World Cup break, he’d get a lot of minutes on the pitch for any MLS team. C’mon out here to Portland, Chicharito!

* I use the generic “manager’s” rather than “Moyes'” because does anyone really think he’s going to be at the helm by summer?

• midtec2005 - Mar 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM

You want to see Chivas USA re-energize their fanbase…

3. chunkala - Mar 6, 2014 at 9:14 AM

He really needs to start full-time on another club.
    But I’m happy that he’s sucking for Mesico right now.

4. dfstell - Mar 6, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I’ll miss him as a United fan. He has his limitations as a player and probably isn’t really good enough to start for a team that hopes to win Champions League, but he’s a class act, always plays hard and almost never complains.

He should go to Serie A. Except for Juve, that is almost a retirement league. Chicarito’s pace/movement would destroy all those old, slow centerbacks.

Man United thrash Liverpool