Mar 6, 2014, 7:37 AM EDT
Following Mexico’s 0-0 friendly draw against Nigeria in Atlanta on Wednesday, El Tri striker Javier Hernandez cut a frustrated figure as he left the field at half time with a knee injury.
Struggling for game time with Manchester United this season, “Chicharito” has started just 10 of United’s 41 games this campaign, injuries like this are going to happen as the Mexican international is used sparingly but the Premier League outfit.
Asked about his lack of minutes with the Red Devils and the chance to play for Mexico, this is what he had to say to reporters after the game.
“I’m very eager to play as my club don’t take me much into account. I hope I have the opportunity to play [for Mexico],” Hernandez said. “When you are called up, you have to be thankful and if not called up, you have to keep working. I’m very happy and thankful with this call-up, like I was when I was called up for the first time.”
With the first part of that comment, Hernandez’s frustration seems to be seeping through as he spends more time on the bench for Man United.
In previous United team’s, he was perhaps happier to be the back up and provide goals off the bench when needed. But he also started plenty of games in previous seasons under Sir Alex Ferguson. Last season he scored 18 goals in 36 games, but with United struggling this campaign and new players such as Juan Mata arriving and the emergence of Adnan Januzaj, Hernandez continues to find himself further in the periphery.
Tottenham, Inter Milan and Juventus are sniffing around Chicharito and at the age of 25, he needs to be playing regularly to try and fulfill his huge potential. A transfer deal worth $23 million could see him leave Old Trafford, which would be good for the player, Mexico and whoever buys him.
One of the Premier League’s most lethal finishers needs to be playing, Hernandez needs a move.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3