Mar 7, 2014, 7:28 PM EDT
He’s got plenty of work to do, but it starts tomorrow.
Following a failure of a loan spell at Fulham, Clint Dempsey is back in Seattle, and according to coach Sigi Schmid, he’s available for the season opener.
Schmid told the Seattle Times that Dempsey “Will be in the 18 tomorrow for sure.”
The manager also added that “he’s definitely fit” thanks in part to new Fulham manager Felix Magath and his infamous training regimens.
Despite made seven appearances for Fulham across all competitions during his two month loan, but looked shackled, labored, and out of his depth, a far cry from when he starred at Craven Cottage a few short years ago.
Dempsey looks for a fresh start (yet again) this year as Seattle opens its 2014 MLS season at home tomorrow against Sporting KC. When the 30-year-old made the move to Major League Soccer, even then he appeared to be on the down slope.
With the World Cup ahead, many US National Team fans are hoping Dempsey finds the form he once consistently brought to the pitch for both club and country, and it starts with the Sounders.
Schmid thinks that with some stability to his club surroundings, things are looking up for his star forward.
“The first time he came here he was coming into a new situation and an unfamiliar situation,” said Schmid, “and now he’s coming back home. He’s coming into a familiar situation, he knows what the team is like, he knows what the locker room is like, and he knows what this is all about. You can already see the comfort.”
The coach added he’s “confident in what [Dempsey] is going to be able to give us tomorrow,” suggesting he is likely to be in the starting lineup.
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 2
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 10
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 2
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 0
- Qatar/Russia World Cup bidding investigation delayed until September 6
- Report: Bayern Munich confirms Julian Green on first team for US trip 10