Mar 7, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT
It’s been a rough year for David Moyes. Moving from Everton to Manchester United must’ve been a dream, but that dream’s turned into a bit of a nightmare. United are currently seven in the Premier League table, at least 12 points off a Champions League place (rivals Manchester City, in fourth, have two games in hand). Last season’s title winners are 18 points off Chelsea, in first. And they’re actually behind Moyes’ former club, Everton, who are sixth.
So what to do when you’ve taken a title-holding side and practically sent them into a tailspin? Why, write a letter, of course. Moyes penned a few words to Manchester United season ticket holders, thanking them for their support, asking them to remain patient and reassuring them that the club would become great once again:
“You are accustomed to seeing a successful Manchester United and the backing you have given the players and me throughout the season has been incredible. Away from home the travelling fans have remained the best in the country while at Old Trafford your unwavering faith has been noticeable and hugely welcomed. Supporting your team when they are winning is easy but much harder when things are not going as well, and the loyalty you have shown us has been magnificent.”
Moyes believes that loyalty will be rewarded. The letter continues, saying, “Over the years you have seen great winning sides here and, in time, I have absolutely no doubt that we will see great winning sides here again.”
This weekend brings a date with relegation-threatened West Bromwich, before United host Liverpool. Then United must overcome a 2-0 deficit to Olympiakos to advance in the Champions League. Surely fans will be hoping that it’s sooner, rather than later, that they’ll be seeing a winning side once more.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1