Mar 7, 2014, 7:01 AM EST
Currently sitting seventh in the Premier League, twelve points off a Champions League place, United are in need of a bit of help. While the Red Devils status as one of the best supported clubs in the world means that they can afford to acquire big name talent this summer, even without money received from European play, if they miss out on the Champions League next year, their fortunes could very well start to drop.
So it’s not at all surprising that United are after the brightest stars and the biggest up and comers. Shaw, just 18 years old, earned himself an England cap against Denmark, after impressing Roy Hodgson with his performances at left back for the Saints. And although Patrice Evra hasn’t done too badly this season, he’ll be 33 come summer, and it’s likely time to find a decent replacement.
But, so goes the rumor, United are going to have to beat away Chelsea, who themselves need to replace the aging Ashley Cole. César Azpilicueta? Nah. Patrick Van Aanholt? No. Ryan Bertrand? Absolutely not. Clearly Chelsea, who never hesitate to splash the cash, will be willing to pay Shaw the big bucks. So it follows that United will be willing to pay $125, 000 to secure Shaw’s services and, in the process, get one over on José Mourinho.
The reality is that United likely are interested in Shaw – who wouldn’t be? But even if the club is desperate, they likely won’t resort to quite such a high wage for a youngster with just one good season under his belt.
Do you agree?
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Defiant win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1