Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
On Saturday Manchester United dominated West Bromwich Albion from start to finish at the Hawthorns, as their 3-0 victory could’ve been more comfortable.
Before this win United had just one victory in their last five games in all competitions, but it was more about the manner in which they won than
“It was more like it. We were more creative and played well,” Moyes said. “It’s never the easiest of places to come and we had lost to them earlier in the season so it was good to get a good result. We earned the right to be in front. When we did we sort of controlled chunks of the game.”
Performances from Rooney, Juan Mata, Marouane Fellaini and Adnan Januzaj caught the eye as United finally look to be gelling going forward. With 10 days to stew over their poor performance in the 2-0 defeat away to Olympiakos last time out, Moyes’ men looked fired up from the start and won the battle in midfield. With Michael Carrick and Fellaini snapping away at West Brom’s midfield and RVP, Rooney, Januzaj and Mata turning on the style it was certainly one of the best displays from United this season. Sumptuous link up play, clever runs and lovely tricks saw the Red Devils turn on the style.
Can they continue to replicate this form in the final nine games of the season? As thing stood after win on Saturday, they are just nine point behind fourth place but have played two more games than Manchester City.
Points and positions won’t really matter to Moyes for the rest of this season, as he’s likely accepted (privately) that a top four finish is out of the question. But as he continues to rebuild United’s roster, things are starting to slot into place rather nicely.
Especially going forward.
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 0
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Top-half teams jockey for position 0
- Premier League roundup: Big wins for Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and more 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea vs. Manchester City 0
- Player Ratings: How did Chelsea, Manchester City’s stand-in’s fare? 0