Mar 8, 2014, 3:59 PM EDT
The team is entering its sixth year in Major League Soccer, but with an identity that was founded in 1974, the Seattle Sounders are celebrating their 40th year of existence, a fact fans noted before today’s opener with Sporting Kansas City. With two tifo displays before kicking off the first game of MLS’s 2013 season, Seattle fans embraced their big “4-0″.
From the Emerald City Supporters’ at the south end of the CenturyLink Field:
A Football Report (@afootballreport) March 08, 2014
Starting in 1974, the Seattle Sounders spent 10 years in the old North American Soccer League. Though soccer remained in the area after the NASL’s folding, the Sounders name returned in earnest in 1994, with the current Major League Soccer franchise adopting the identity after fans of the newly awarded franchise expressed overwhelming support of the name in 2008.
A second display, highlighting the different looks the Sounders’ logo has had through the years:
KING 5 Sports (@KING5Sports) March 08, 2014
On March 19, 2009, the team’s latest incarnation debuted for their fans, embracing an identity they’ve carried into the Sounders’ 40th anniversary season.
- Watch Live: Chicago Fire at San Jose Earthquakes (Lineups and Discuss) 0
- Liverpool 0-1 AS Roma: Marco Borriello winner gives Italians victory at Fenway 0
- Houston Dynamo land USMNT legend DaMarcus Beasley 1
- Watch Live: Liverpool vs. AS Roma (Lineups and Discuss) 1
- USMNT prospect Gedion Zelalem on Arsenal’s roster for Red Bulls match 4
- Stripping Russia of World Cup 2018? Germany makes the argument 9