Mar 8, 2014, 9:34 PM EST
Dynamo striker Will Bruin’s numbers were decent enough in 2013 (he finished the regular season with eight goals), but after a terrible slump in the middle of the season saw the third year forward score twice in 15 games, ‘avoid a scoring slump’ became an obligatory entry in every Houston preview. If Bruin gets back to his 2012 self (12 goals, 32 games), the Dynamo will have the type of threat they need to compete at the top of the Eastern Conference.
Approaching halftime of the season opener in Houston, it’s so far, so good for the two-time U.S. international. Two minutes into the Dynamo’s visit from New England, Bruin volleyed home after cross from fullback Kofie Sardokie to give his team an early lead:
Just after the quarter-hour mark, Bruin doubled Houston’s edge, sliding onto a cross at the far post to give Houston a 2-0 lead.
Things quickly got worse for New England, who found themselves down three when Boniek Garcia scored in the 23rd minute. After putting together one of the league’s best defenses in 2013, Jay Heaps saw his team give away the opener before the half-hour mark, with a late goal from Omar Cumming sending the Revolution to a 4-0 loss.
For Houston, however, one of the season’s two big questions has been answered. At least, the early returns are good. While Dominic Kinnear will have to wait a little longer before he’ll know whether David Horst and Jermaine Taylor can form a strong partnership at the back, his attack has turned back the clock. This is the Will Bruin we was saw in 2012.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Marquee win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1