Mar 9, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Since February 15, Jozy Altidore has seen just 45 minutes of action for Sunderland – against Arsenal where he was subbed off at halftime.
With news today that Jozy Altidore was not only left out of the 18 against Hull City in Sunderland’s FA Cup journey, but also completely absent from the team bus, things are going from bad to worse for the American.
(Note: manager Gus Poyet revealed Altidore picked up an injury in training, explaining his absence)
Today marks the third time in as many cup competitions for Sunderland that Jozy has not only found himself not in the starting lineup, but out of the 18 altogether.
In his second attempt at making a name for himself in England’s top flight, it’s a dose of painful irony that the potential finishing blow to Altidore’s season comes against Hull City, the team he made his first attempt with.
Managing just one goal for Hull in 28 Premier League appearances and two in all competitions back in the 2009/10 season, things are looking eerily similar this season for the 24-year-old.
Namely, his goal tally – one in 24 Premier League appearances and two in all competitions. Sound familiar? See previous paragraph.
As a result, it would appear Gus Poyet’s patience with Altidore has run dry.
So, barring a miraculous late-season flurry of goals in their final 10 Premier League matches, he will finish with the same disappointing numbers he found himself stuck with four seasons ago.
Will that be the end of Jozy Altidore at Sunderland? The Telegraph‘s Luke Edwards seems to think so. It’s possible he could get himself another season at the Stadium of Light, but he would certainly have to earn it.
But remember – Kenwyne Jones somehow continues to find a job, and that in and of itself should give Jozy some hope.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 4
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3