Mar 9, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
Fiorentina’s loss to Juventus has effectively eliminated the storied club from the race for the Top Three — if there was a chance at all — while Napoli’s win over Roma says there’s plenty to be decided when it comes to Serie A’s second spot.
Kwadwo Asamoah’s second goal of the season came in the 42nd minute, and it was all The Old Lady would need to extend its top of the table total to 72 points. Juve is now 14-0 at home of the season as Gianluigi Buffon snagged clean sheet No. 14 on the season.
The match was just as even as the score suggested, but Fiorentina will again rue just how close they were to making a statement. Ryder Matos hit the bar on a header that would’ve equalized the match moments after he subbed into the contest. Earlier, Mario Gomez’s dangerous header went wide of the frame.
The Napoli-Roma match at San Paolo had a scary moment, as Dutch midfielder Kevin Strootman was carted off the field for Roma. Jose Maria Callejon’s 81st minute goal was the only marker of the match as Napoli pulled to within three points of second-place Roma (though i Lupi has a match-in-hand).
Roma had the better of attacking moments in the match, but Napoli boss Rafa Benitez won’t be complaining after he turned up the heat in the race for second. With the loss — and injury — it’s hard to imagine Roma making an improbable run to leapfrog Juventus. The gap between first and second place is now 14 points.
- Lazio 0-1 Atalanta — Home loss not nearly as disconcerting as the near-lack of fans in the seats as Lazio supporters protest against their club president.
- Inter Milan 1-0 Torino — Hosts keep the heat on Fiorentina after a Rodrigo Palacio goal lifts them to a seventh home win.
- Parma 2-0 Verona – Goals from Jonathan Biabiany and Ezequiel Schelotto serve to create three points room between the sixth- and seventh-place clubs of Serie A.
- Sampdoria 4-2 Livorno– The road team looked ready to spur a jump from the drop zone after two goals in eight minutes from Ibrahima Mbaye gave them a 2-0 halftime lead, but Sampdoria found two goals by the 53rd minute before Stefano Okaka and Manolo Gabbiadini lifted their team to the win.
- Chievo 2-1 Genoa – It was a good day to have a penalty-taker, as Alberto Paloschi converted pens in the 5th and 90th minute to offset Alberto Gilardino’s 88th minute goal as Chievo pulled three points clear of the drop.
- Verona 0-0 Bologna – The visitors’ earned point worth its weight in gold as they stay out of the drop zone, but they’ll rue not taking all three after Rafael saved Rolando Bianchi’s penalty kick.
- Bologna 0-0 Sassuolo — Visitors can only find one point from massive six-pointer as relegation continues to loom for bottom-dwellers are now five points from safety.
Jul 7, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
The center back pairing is the big conundrum heading into the Gold Cup. Here’s a look at the eight defenders.
Jul 7, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
Who will be the starter for Klinsmann in July?
Jul 7, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
As PL teams continue to return to preseason, more moves are taking shape. Here’s the latest gossip.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:35 AM EDT
Three heavy defeats in four days at the Pacific Games for Micronesia, as Vanuatu’s Jean Kaltack scored 16 times in one game. One game.
Jul 7, 2015, 8:01 AM EDT
Blues eyeing up England’s national stadium for three seasons, but so are Spurs.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The youngest ever player to score in Turkey’s Super Lig will now try to find the back of the net at the Etihad.
2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too
Jul 6, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT
While the rest of CONCACAF closes the gap on the USA and Mexico, it’s time for the USMNT to show they’re still improving, too.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:56 PM EDT
Are Abby Wambach and Carli Lloyd the next athletes to be seen parading down the Canyon of Heroes?
Jul 6, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
The only question is, who’s willing to pay the price?
Jul 6, 2015, 8:17 PM EDT
Will Abby Wambach play at the 2016 Olympics in Rio? She hasn’t yet said.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
The goalkeeper’s agent has said Casillas would like a move to Portugal, but Real is playing hardball.
Jul 6, 2015, 6:26 PM EDT
In the world of South American football, everything is coming up Chile.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:31 PM EDT
After a failed spell at Tottenham, the French midfielder is now a Hornet.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The Gold Cup kicks off tomorrow as Jurgen Klinsmann and the USMNT look to repeat as champions of CONCACAF.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
A strange clause in the contract allows Barca to sell the midfielder back to Atletico by July 20.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:22 PM EDT
Like the heavily-redacted Garcia report, you can’t help but think we won’t have details until we’re watching the court cases and trials of the arraigned.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:19 PM EDT
The striker has signed a three-year deal with the second division side.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
The Cosmos B can afford to trot out Nash, considering they are 8-0-1 with a plus-34 goal differential under head coach Alecko Eskandarian.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
Plenty of other names are having a waltz through the gossip mill.
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Darmian to Manchester United, Clasie to Southampton 0
- Chelsea and Tottenham to battle for Wembley Stadium as temporary home 0
- 2015 Gold Cup: With the rest of CONCACAF making strides, this is USMNT’s chance to show they are, too 5
- New York City mayor could give USWNT ticker tape parade in Manhattan 2
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 2
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0