Mar 10, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
As continued efforts to clean up the Premier League from any kind of illegal betting continue, another PL players has admitted a betting charge from the English Football Association.
According to a statement on the FA’s website Gosling, 24, has “admitted an FA charge in relation to multiple breaches of Rule E8(b) for misconduct in relation to betting. Gosling has requested a personal hearing, the date of which will be set in due course.”
The rule states that players “shall not bet, either directly or indirectly” on matches involving themselves or their team as well as the competition they play in or have played in.
Gosling is the latest PL player to be pulled up on this charge, as the man who has recently spent a loan stint at Blackpool before returning to Newcastle and coming off the bench in three recent games, has joined the likes of Cameron Jerome and Andros Townsend who were both pulled up by the English FA for breaches of betting regulations in recent months.
Townsend was banned for four months, three of those being suspended, last June and fined $27,000, while Jerome was fined $75,000 in August for bets he’d previously made whilst playing for Stoke City. However it must be said that both Townsend and Jerome did not bet on any games they or their respective teams were involved in.
With gambling on soccer legalized and so widespread throughout British society, it’s hard to see how it could be difficult for players to resists the temptation. But they know they aren’t allowed to bet on any competition they have been involved in. In Gosling’s case that would be the PL, the Championship and any FA Cup or League Cup games.
Details of how serious this charges are have yet to be released, but Gosling will find out his punishment in due course.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 0
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1