Mar 10, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
This week’s Player of the Week in the Premier League is a man who wasn’t even meant to be starting for his side.
Minutes before Chelsea faced Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge last Saturday, Fernando Torres pulled up injured in the warm up and had to withdraw from the starting lineup.
Step forward Samuel Eto’o.
The Cameroon international put recent criticism from Jose Mourinho (which was caught privately on camera, then released) in the past, as the 33-year-old scored Chelsea’s opener with his predatory finishing and then won a penalty which provided the clincher. Eto’o was dangerous all afternoon and gave Spurs’ backline problems with his clever running and tireless hold up play, his goal was his seventh of the PL season, all of which have come at home.
Eto’o is your PL Player of the Week, watch his hugely important performance in the video above, as the former Inter Milan star helped Chelsea go seven points clear at the PL summit.
- Didier Drogba has officially rejoined Jose Mourinho at Chelsea 3
- FIFA says World Cup will stay in Russia, “can achieve positive change” 5
- DaMarcus Beasley, introduced in Houston: I see myself as a left back 1
- Wenger talks Zelalem, gets taste of U.S. obsession for potential international 3
- EXCLUSIVE: Manchester United’s new signing Ander Herrera focused on success 2
- Serbian boss: Freddy Adu sought by Europa, UCL clubs in Serbia, Cyprus 0