Mar 10, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
This week’s Player of the Week in the Premier League is a man who wasn’t even meant to be starting for his side.
Minutes before Chelsea faced Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge last Saturday, Fernando Torres pulled up injured in the warm up and had to withdraw from the starting lineup.
Step forward Samuel Eto’o.
The Cameroon international put recent criticism from Jose Mourinho (which was caught privately on camera, then released) in the past, as the 33-year-old scored Chelsea’s opener with his predatory finishing and then won a penalty which provided the clincher. Eto’o was dangerous all afternoon and gave Spurs’ backline problems with his clever running and tireless hold up play, his goal was his seventh of the PL season, all of which have come at home.
Eto’o is your PL Player of the Week, watch his hugely important performance in the video above, as the former Inter Milan star helped Chelsea go seven points clear at the PL summit.
- MLS Snapshot: New York Red Bulls 4-1 Seattle Sounders 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0