Mar 10, 2014, 11:52 AM EST
This week’s Player of the Week in the Premier League is a man who wasn’t even meant to be starting for his side.
Minutes before Chelsea faced Tottenham Hotspur at Stamford Bridge last Saturday, Fernando Torres pulled up injured in the warm up and had to withdraw from the starting lineup.
Step forward Samuel Eto’o.
The Cameroon international put recent criticism from Jose Mourinho (which was caught privately on camera, then released) in the past, as the 33-year-old scored Chelsea’s opener with his predatory finishing and then won a penalty which provided the clincher. Eto’o was dangerous all afternoon and gave Spurs’ backline problems with his clever running and tireless hold up play, his goal was his seventh of the PL season, all of which have come at home.
Eto’o is your PL Player of the Week, watch his hugely important performance in the video above, as the former Inter Milan star helped Chelsea go seven points clear at the PL summit.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Liverpool, Spurs take to road to face fellow strugglers Palace, Hull 1
- Premier League roundup: Wins for Manchester United, Chelsea, Burnley (video) 0
- WATCH: Messi’s teammates repeatedly toss him in air after breaking La Liga record 1
- Defiant win proves van Gaal’s Manchester United on the right track 0
- Three things we learned from Manchester United’s big win at Arsenal 0
- Arsenal 1-2 Manchester United: Too little too late for Giroud and the chance-squandering Gunners 1