Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
The first half totaled 55 minutes thanks to two first-half delays caused by a number of fan outbursts, including the tossing of a door handle, explosives and other objects onto the pitch. Officials are allowed to call off a match after two warnings, and a third outburst at halftime finished the match.
According to a Turkish report, there were holes burnt in the jersey of Fenerbahce goalkeeper Volkan Demirel from firecrackers.
Fenerbache had a 1-0 lead and is expected to be awarded all three points despite the abbreviated nature of the contest.
Here’s a photo from Turkish outlet spor.mynet.com/futbol that shows the door handle:
- 2015 MLS season preview: Sporting Kansas City 0
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: FC Dallas 0
- The Western Conference will continue to dominate MLS, and we all know it 0
- Wednesday’s Premier League Preview: Seven games in action-packed matchday 0
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 4