Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
The first half totaled 55 minutes thanks to two first-half delays caused by a number of fan outbursts, including the tossing of a door handle, explosives and other objects onto the pitch. Officials are allowed to call off a match after two warnings, and a third outburst at halftime finished the match.
According to a Turkish report, there were holes burnt in the jersey of Fenerbahce goalkeeper Volkan Demirel from firecrackers.
Fenerbache had a 1-0 lead and is expected to be awarded all three points despite the abbreviated nature of the contest.
Here’s a photo from Turkish outlet spor.mynet.com/futbol that shows the door handle:
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 0
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Will Chelsea ever lose, Burnley ever win? 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Liverpool 0
- Steven Gerrard will play somewhere next season, Liverpool deal or not 1