Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
The first half totaled 55 minutes thanks to two first-half delays caused by a number of fan outbursts, including the tossing of a door handle, explosives and other objects onto the pitch. Officials are allowed to call off a match after two warnings, and a third outburst at halftime finished the match.
According to a Turkish report, there were holes burnt in the jersey of Fenerbahce goalkeeper Volkan Demirel from firecrackers.
Fenerbache had a 1-0 lead and is expected to be awarded all three points despite the abbreviated nature of the contest.
Here’s a photo from Turkish outlet spor.mynet.com/futbol that shows the door handle:
- WATCH: Men in Blazers show debuts on NBCSN 0
- Report: Obafemi Martins close to Seattle extension and raise 0
- DC United extends Ben Olsen’s contract after bounceback season 1
- Premier League Download: Tale of the newly-promoted teams 0
- FIFA Executive: “The 2022 World Cup in Qatar will not happen” 7
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 2