Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
The first half totaled 55 minutes thanks to two first-half delays caused by a number of fan outbursts, including the tossing of a door handle, explosives and other objects onto the pitch. Officials are allowed to call off a match after two warnings, and a third outburst at halftime finished the match.
According to a Turkish report, there were holes burnt in the jersey of Fenerbahce goalkeeper Volkan Demirel from firecrackers.
Fenerbache had a 1-0 lead and is expected to be awarded all three points despite the abbreviated nature of the contest.
Here’s a photo from Turkish outlet spor.mynet.com/futbol that shows the door handle:
- Raheem Sterling named best young player in Europe, wins ‘Golden Boy’ award 0
- Watch Live: Manchester City vs. Crystal Palace (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 17 0
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 2
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 2
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 3