Mar 10, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
It wasn’t a pretty night to be in Turkey, as violent fans at Trabzonspor forced the abandonment of a match with rivals Fenerbahce on Monday night.
The first half totaled 55 minutes thanks to two first-half delays caused by a number of fan outbursts, including the tossing of a door handle, explosives and other objects onto the pitch. Officials are allowed to call off a match after two warnings, and a third outburst at halftime finished the match.
According to a Turkish report, there were holes burnt in the jersey of Fenerbahce goalkeeper Volkan Demirel from firecrackers.
Fenerbache had a 1-0 lead and is expected to be awarded all three points despite the abbreviated nature of the contest.
Here’s a photo from Turkish outlet spor.mynet.com/futbol that shows the door handle:
- Premier League Preview: Burnley vs. Manchester United 0
- MLS Weekend Preview: Derbies close weekend kicking off off at Sporting Park 1
- Premier League Power Rankings: Familiar faces jostle for the top spot – Week 1 2
- U.S. roster for Czech Republic: Quick look at some of the newer names 5
- Plenty of surprises in US national team roster for Czech Republic friendly 3
- Analysis: Arsenal, Manchester City handed tough Champions League draw 1