Mar 10, 2014, 1:05 PM EST
Well, that didn’t go as well as we would’ve liked.
On Monday English Championship side Barnsley released a short statement saying U.S. national team attacker Brek Shea has returned to parent club Stoke City after his loan spell in Yorkshire had been cut short.
Shea, 24, was involved in a heated argument with a group of Barnsley’s fans after a recent 5-0 defeat to Huddersfield as he and his teammates walked off the field. Shea’s teammate, Stephen Dawson, reacted angrily to comments from Barnsley’s supporters and Shea seemed to make an obscene gesture with his middle finger towards the fans which sparked outrage from the fans, the club and Tykes manager Danny Wilson.
After already apologizing for his actions via Twitter, Shea then went on U.S. national team duty last week before returning to Barnsley for their 1-0 win over Nottingham Forest over the weekend. But Shea was not included in the 18-man squad and the Oakwell club have now ended his loan spell early, which was slated to run until April 3.
Shea played in eight games for the Championship team, but now he’s without regular soccer for the rest of the season unless Stoke can immediately hook the U.S. player up with another loan deal. Ahead of the World Cup this summer, where many believe Shea could be a great impact player off the bench in Jurgen Klinsmann’s squad, this isn’t exactly what the Texan would’ve been hoping for.
Let’s hope Shea can get sorted and find game-time somewhere between now and May, as he looks to make one last push and get on the USMNT plane to Brazil.
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance 0
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 1
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 1
- Italy head coach Antonio Conte supports Sebastian Giovinco’s move to MLS 9
- USMNT U-20s defeat El Salvador, 2-0, qualify for 2015 U-20 World Cup 2
- Jurgen Klinsmann names 23-man roster for USMNT friendlies vs. Chile, Panama 0