Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
Ahead of Arsenal’s biggest night of the year, they almost made a massive mistake which could’ve had huge implications.
With injuries to plenty of players in the FA Cup quarterfinal vs. Everton on Sunday, plus a suspension to goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny, the Gunners were scrapping around for a few names to chuck on the flight to Munich and warm the bench at the Allianz Arena.
One of those players was Ryo Miyachi, Arsenal’s young Japanese star who has spent the majority of his Gunners career out on loan with teams from the Championship in England.
Miyachi, 21, traveled to Munich with the squad but was left off the matchday roster as it was discovered that the attacker was ineligible for selection. Something they probably should’ve checked before letting Miyachi travel with the team.
The issue came as Miyachi was included in Arsenal’s Champions League roster for the group stages, but then got the chop for the knockout rounds meaning isn’t allowed to compete. That was only realized at the last minute, as Arsenal’s official Twitter account revealed.
Red tape and red faces all round for the Gunners, let’s hope this oversight doesn’t cost them in Munich.
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 0
- USMNT releases 23-man roster for September friendlies 0
- Swansea City 2-1 Manchester United: Swans comeback stuns Red Devils 3
- Sunday Transfer Rumor Roundup: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Wanyama to leave Saints 1
- Manchester City officially signs Kevin de Bruyne 1
- Watch Live: Swansea City vs Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0