Mar 11, 2014, 6:34 PM EST
Stuart Holden’s injury nightmare just took another turn for the worse, as the U.S. international midfielder is set for yet another lengthy spell on the sidelines.
The heart-wrenching news comes as somewhat of a shock, as the Bolton Wanderers midfielder was injured in a Premier League U-21 game last Monday and the extent of his injury hadn’t been disclosed by either Holden or his club since.
However on Tuesday Bolton sent out the following Tweet, which stated Holden “will be out of action for between six and nine months following an operation on the ligaments in his right knee.” The American midfielder had returned to the U.S. to get treatment on his knee following the incident, and silence over the past few days wasn’t deemed as good news for Stu.
Holden, 28, has had no luck with recent injuries as the man who made his name with the Houston Dynamo in Major League Soccer has been cursed with bad luck in recent seasons. Holden suffered his latest injury when playing in his first game since tearing his ACL in his right knee during the USA’s 1-0 CONCACAF Gold Cup final win over Panama back in July. The American midfielder had initially clutched his right knee, then hobbled off the pitch as Bolton played Everton in what was essentially a reserve team game.
His string of serious injuries date back to 2010 when Holden horrifically broke his leg while playing for the USA against the Netherlands but Holden still managed to make one appearance at the 2010 World Cup vs. England. However he then injured his left knee against Manchester United in a tackle with Jonny Evans in March 2011 which kept him out for over a year. Holden has had nothing but bad luck with his fitness since.
Below you can see the Tweet which confirmed Holden’s season is over, and will likely take up a huge chunk of his 2014-15 campaign.
Despite all of that, the energetic midfielder had stayed in and around the USMNT picture and trained with the squad as a guest player during the January camp in California earlier this year.
But any hope Holden had of getting himself fit and ready to try and compete for a last-ditch spot in Klinsmann’s U.S. national team camp for the World Cup this summer is officially over, as the hugely likable character will now spend more time nursing himself back to full-fitness following his latest devastating injury.
From all the folks at PST, get well soon, Stu.
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Southampton 0
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 1